Asked on Mar 30, 2018

Could the trendy brown paper bag floor be done with fabric?

JeanCin26693753Essie
+2

My husband is building me a sewing room. I do many different things, embroidery, quilting, crafts etc. Anyway he told me to pic my floor type I want. So I was thinking I want to stay with the sewing theme, so why not use fabric instead of paper. Any suggestions?

only thing I found was a floor cloth.....https://www.pinterest.com/pin/212443307391859834/?lp=true
  • Dianacirce70

I have seen that flooring idea down with sheet music, newspaper and a variety of other materials, so I don't see why you couldn't use fabric. I think you would just have to be extra careful that it laid flat and no bubbles
  • Essie

Looking on line I really couldn't find any info on this. I'm thinking that the fabric may work, I would suggest that it all be the same kind (all muslin, all burlap, all corduroy, whatever). I would also be sure to seal it with several coats of polyurethane to keep it from fraying. Let us know how it turns out, we'd love to see pics!
  • Cin26693753

thanks to all for the comments and links. if i decide to do this i will take pics and post.

• Jean

absolutely yes, though I would test all fabrics for opacity - wet them and put them against a background darker than the floor.

priming the floor is optional, sealing it afterwards is critical.