How to grow 2 pound tomatoes?

+5
I use to grow 2 pd tomatoes but we moved ,I can't grow them,I only grow small ones,this soil does not have clay in it,maybe that's why, guess I need to get some clay from some where,don't know where,do U ? I have a raised bed garden .Thanks.

• Janet Panos Janet Panos on Mar 30, 2018
    Hello. Could it be the type of seeds you are using or the type of tomato plants you are purchasing? Typically tomatoes do not require clay in the soil. In fact, clay inhibits root growth. Had you been using a raised bed in the past when you grew big tomatoes? Could it be that with a raised bed there is not enough room for the roots to grow and therefore the plant yields small tonatoes? Think about what may have caused your success in the past. Go to your local home and garden store and ask which tomatoes emailed the largest tomato. Be sure there’s enough soil in your bed and be sure to water regularly. Periodically add Miracle Grow to the water according to package instructions. Good luck!
  • Neva Dew Neva Dew on Mar 30, 2018
    You state: "this soil does not have clay" I would say add clay and anything else you might need to replicate the old garden soil. Then fertilize, fertilize fertilize! Also talk to the Extension Office folks on your area for the best advice to grow large tomatoes.
  • Lana Hassell Lana Hassell on Mar 30, 2018
    You don't say where you live. Do you mean a tomato that weighs 2 pounds? Wow! Anyway, I suggest that you check with the local nursery people or farmers if it's that kind of area that you live in.
  • Rhonda S Rhonda S on Mar 30, 2018
    These folks can provide all sorts of gardening information for free: USDA Extension Agents! Click the link, then the state where you live now, and then the county for contact information. They'll know what to do to improve the local soil, what issues you are likely facing, and things to avoid. https://offices.sc.egov.usda.gov/locator/app
  • Barb Adams Barb Adams on Mar 30, 2018
    Invest in a soil test kit to see what nutrients your soil is lacking. That may be part of the problem. Then, amend your soil like this: https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/gardens/planting-and-maintenance/how-to-amend-garden-soil
  • Carol Marszalek Carol Marszalek on Mar 30, 2018
    You don’t need clay to grow tomatoes. If you believe your soil isn’t working, amend it with garden soil you can purchase at any home improvement store.
  • Wendy Wendy on Apr 01, 2018