Asked on Mar 30, 2018

How would i install a railing on stairs that dont have one?

BetsyEmilyKen
+2

The stairs go up to my attic. They have never had a railing to hold on to when you go up or down. The attic has usable rooms that serve as a spare bedroom and storage space for miscellaneous furniture. Im always worried about someone falling.

• Brian Wilson

Unless you have saws,drillsa multitude of tools and know how to use them you might just want to find a carpenter.
  • Ken

Your lumber retailer will have wooden handrail and brackets to hold it to the wall. Make sure to attach the brackets to studs in the wall.
  • Emily

Sounds like our attic. However our stairs have walls and so they kind of serve the same purpose as a rail. You must have at least one wall that is walled. I think places like Home depot may sell railings. The one in our basement is held on by two small iron bracket things, one at the top and one at the bottom. This has been sufficient for over 100 years! p.s. I love my attic!

It's actually pretty simple. I did my mom's basement stairway handrails. Get the length of railing you need - Home Depot carries them - and the hangers for the rails. I'd use one hanger for each 4 or 5 feet. Using a string or laser or something to draw a straight inclined line, (or make marks where the studs are and you plan on putting the hangers) make a line going up the stairs between 34 and 38 inches high, depending on the height of the person using the stairs and your local code. Connect the holders to studs so they are sturdy. Then, attach the railing. One thing I did for my mom was at the top and bottom of the rails, I put vertical railings about 2 1/2 feet tall. That way, if she stumbled, she could reach out and grab on easily. She found these very convenient. Most areas require a return on the ends of railings, that is a piece that goes to the wall so that if you're carrying something it won't get snagged on the open end and pull you down.