Bonny Secrest Jenista
Bonny Secrest Jenista
  • Fort Worth, TX
Asked on Mar 30, 2018

How do I clean baked on black on the bottom of a pan? I think I read

EssieBarb AdamsRobin Thompson
+3

what is the pan made of so the proper answer can be given
  • Holly

I soak mine in vinegar and baking soda and it typically takes a little elbow grease with a scoring pad or brush. The vinegar and baking soda will bubble and loosen up the burnt on particles. You can also heat it up a bit on your stove top.

My go to is to make a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar. The dry stuff, not what you put on fish:) Wipe this on the gunk, let it sit for about a minute and then scrape it off. Depending on the thickness of the gunk, you may have to do it a couple of times. Rinse well and that's it. Hardly any elbow grease:) I've cleaned old iron frying pans with this and it works great. I had to use a putty knife to scrape, but you can use a knife, spoon or whatever is handy. Good luck!
  • Robin Thompson

Easy peasy . . . put some water and a dryer sheet in and leave it overnight. In the morning it will clean right up.
  • Barb Adams

Try a paste of Barkeepers Friend, let sit for 10 minutes before scrubbing. Repeat as needed.