Homemade Bleach Recipe

$10

Making homemade cleaning products has been a trend for a few years now, but did you know that you can make your own homemade bleach? This is one of my favorite all natural homemade cleaning recipes.If you are making the switch to a non-toxic, chemical free home you will definitely want to try this homemade bleach alternative recipe. With just a few simple ingredients from your pantry you can make homemade
homemade bleach recipe
Makes 1 quart. Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup 3% hydrogen peroxide
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice OR 1/2 teaspoon citric acid
  • 3 1/4 cups water
  • 5 drops lemon essential oil
homemade bleach recipe
Pour peroxide, lemon juice, citric acid (if using), and lemon essential oil into a blue or amber glass bottle. Swish around until citric acid is dissolved.
You can use juice from a fresh lemon or bottled lemon juice. You can buy a large bottle of lemon juice from the dollar store for only one dollar which is usually more economical.
The lemon juice is actually an important part of this recipe, so don’t skip it. The citric acid acts as a whitener, a very mild disinfectant, and as a water softener (thus allowing stains to be lifted out more easily).
Fill the rest of the jug with distilled water and use as you would bleach.
Mix together and store in a large jug. I pour mine into a smaller bottles for convenience. Since the peroxide will oxidize and eventually lose strength it’s best to use the homemade bleach within a month.
homemade bleach recipe
You need to keep this homemade bleach solution in a cool, dark place and preferably in a dark bottle. Exposure to light will make it oxidize more quickly.
  • Keep old peroxide bottles and keep a spray nozzle from another bottle.
  • Wrap the spray bottle in a brown paper lunch bag and secure at the top.
  • Cover the spray bottle with construction paper or wrapping paper and make it decorative
Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome

• Karen Weils Bromley

Aren't essential oils suppose to be stored in dark glass bottles?

• Karen Daniels

Yes. As mentioned above:

• LadyAleta

In your recipe for the homemade bleach subsitute, you say "not" to skip the lemon juice because it is an important part of the solution. Then you say the citric acid helps to whiten and softens, etc. Yet the recipe shows I have to make a choice; lemon juice or citric acid. My question is: How can I choose the citric acid if you say I must not skip the lemon juice? Maybe, I'm reading your recipe wrong, but I see the word "or" not both.

• Karen Daniels

One can be substituted for another.

Citric acid is a weak organic acid found in citrus fruits. Hope that helps.

• LadyAleta

So I CAN SKIP the lemon juice and just use citric acid, right?

• Run24799603

As a chemist, environmentalist and science educator, you are wrong and do a disservice to the public by saying this recipe is "chemical free." It is entirely made up of chemicals. Some, like hydrogen peroxide and essential oils are toxic at certain levels.

• Karen Daniels

I think she was referring to the harsh chemicals found in store bought cleaners. Used moderately the ingredients she’s lists are so much safer than what’s available in the cleaning isle.

• Meme Tallant

Perfect to keep on hand for period stains. Put it in a pretty spray bottle in the bathroom to wash out accidents.