How do I sound proof a dividing wall from my neighbor

+5
the dividing wall is brick and, their kitchen and bathroom is opposite my living room So at times it can be very disturbing pots and pans cupboard doors and toilet flushing noises spoil my relaxation

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Mar 31, 2018
    If it is your own home then you could maybe build another layer of wall and insulate it. You would have to extend any electrical outlets you have. If you are at all handy then this is a good DIY project.
  • Marie Rother Marie Rother on Mar 31, 2018
    if it’s a side by side and you own it you can build an inside wall on your side
    2x6 studs filled with insulation then new sheetrock this is an extensive remodel but it will stop the noise
    if you are a renter complain to the owner
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 31, 2018
    Batten out your wall then encase Slabs of polystyrene and over board.
  • Ken Ken on Mar 31, 2018
    This is not a simple project, and you may want to seek out a contractor with experience in this type of project. Take a look at the advice here and see if it looks like something you can tackle: https://www.houselogic.com/remodel/remodeling-tips-advice/soundproofing-walls/
  • Chris Beale Chris Beale on Mar 31, 2018
    Thanks

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Apr 03, 2018
    Many years ago, we rented a “duplex” which was only an old wood house with a thin wall erected through the middle. First month, heavenly silence. Second month, hubby returned from Vietnam Nam and played an electric guitar and partied with friends, day and night. Third month, we moved! But the second month, we hung double layers of the quilts we got as wedding gifts on all the common walls. It helped a little, and I started learning about home insulation. ☺️