Asked on Mar 31, 2018

Painting porcelain bathtub

HelenShannonKak7669331
+11

• Is there anything else you can paint a porcelain bathtub with, other than the kits at Lowe's, I have COPD, and can't use those products

• Look into having the tub professionally reglazed. I have done quite a few in my lifetime with excellent results. The one I had done at my mom's house back in 2007 still looks brand new today.
  • Shannon
    Shannon

I used simple poster paints that children use.
  • Helen
    Helen

There ARE companies which do this job. Check on google/oryellow pages.
    Janet Pizaro

unfortunately no.I would find a alternative and replace the tub.Research closeouts in Home Improvement stores or Habitat for humanity for a affordable way to replace.
  • Jcraw
    Jcraw

Is it an iron tub? and does it really need repainting? I thought mine did because I couldn’t get those darn non-slip circles clean. Tried Everything. A Mr Clean Magic Eraser did in 15 minutes what I haven’t accomplished in years Of bleach, baking soda, vinegar and God knows what else.
    If there are a couple of chips, you can get touch up paint.
  • Kak7669331
    Kak7669331

Have you tried CLR? I thought mine needed replacing...and I couldn’t get it white to save my life!! CLR did the trick! Removed old and stubborn stains!
  • Shannon
    Shannon

First off, when you paint them, they aren’t going to look perfect. It doesn’t matter. Poster paint doesn’t need to be put on thickly, but you can. I did my outside bulbs at Christmas to go outside. It’s so simple. I placed the silver end of the bulb in a small glass so that the bulb sticks out and I am hands free; I just turn the glass around to paint it. If you want you can hold the silver end in your hand.....but what if the phone rings lol. mix your poster paint and cover the bulb. Let dry. Put into a fixture and enjoy.
    I tried this in the 70’s to see if it worked and it did. Good luck.
  • Shannon
    Shannon

I just realized that I am answering you incorrectl. I am so sorry.
  • Helen
    Helen

You're very welcome. I had a friend who had this done. DIY didn't work.