Asked on Mar 31, 2018

Looking for furniture updating ideas

Cindy HagemannItsmemicAna Bacallao
+14

any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated. I think I ruined this beautiful piece of furniture. I wanted it to look like the picture next to it, the one you did. Thank you Aggie
q help me fix this up please
q help me fix this up please
q help me fix this up please
  • Teacup8885

I think if you maybe take some paint thinner lightly n let it dry or fine sand paper, then gently rinse with a wet cloth after, then found the bright colors u want, then just put it where u want.. would definitely put a protective layer allover after!!
  • Diane

Cleaning Shower tiles
  • Sharon

I like the subtlety of what you achieved on that great little table personally over the garish unicorn spit picture. But you could just use a brush and add some brighter highlights on the high points of the design in a couple other colors.
  • AmAtHome

I think your piece looks great!
  • Caroline Forwood

Get the colors you want and use cheesecloth to apply. That's how we used to get the "antique" look!!
  • Melbrooks

I like Caroline Forwood's idea. Use cheesecloth and wipe on some colors like antiquing. Then when youre happy with the look, add just a bit of gold for highlights.
    That is a beautiful and unique table!
  • Gol17361021

Personally I would have left that table the way it was and just oil it. That is a beautiful antique table and very unique. Some pieces you just don't paint it takes away from the value of the piece.
  • Bijous

Hi, sometimes you just need to leave the project alone for a bit, then go back to it with a renewed inspiration. You just haven't built up the colors yet. If you want it more turquoise, keep working at it. Use mineral spirits to thin out the darkness if you want to bring back some of the original finish. Don't give up. Good luck!
  • Judy

This is very unique. What ever you decide will be great. I also like the cheese cloth idea. A little at a time. It's beautiful.
  • Linda Roark-Strummer

I'd rub the ridges and edges (high spots) with a gold or silver paint. I think that would make things pop more. Otherwise, I think you have done a pretty good job.

• Aar32512593

I’d find a mid to dark green spray paint, hit the entire piece and let cure. Then I’d get a bright green or other bright color and brush it on. Before it fully cures but is dry to the touch, use a damp rag to wipe away the new layer on the detailed spots of the piece. If you still feel like you want some bare wood to show, lightly sand the edges until the desired amount of wood is exposed

• Missy Burch

You didn't ruin it. You can totally keep layering paint on this & make it look amazing! that is a unique piece & so worth saving. Do not give up on it!
  • It is pretty dark but its beautiful. Personally I like the darker look to that piece, it's got a real gothic feel to it. I absolutely love it
  • Ana Bacallao

Don't beat yourself up, you didn't ruin it. Try to follow some of the instructions here to apply color highlights and then some gold touches and your unique table will be a showpiece.
  • Itsmemic

hahaha...how many times I've said that !! Let it rest...don't look at it. Then come back with a fresh look. I'd just keep layering till the right color pops in your head. It will. !! And if not? Spray that sucker again and start over...been there done that too !!
  • Cindy Hagemann

You did not ruin it - this looks like Unicorn Spit paint and it requires multiple layers - just keep going with more layers in a brighter color.