SK on Elderberry
SK on Elderberry
  • Bonners Ferry, ID

Do With What You've Got

When we moved I took these bookcases and newly doored bookcases with me to my new cottage. This is how I made them work again in a very tiny space.
do with what you ve got, kitchen design, kitchen island, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
These are not the original pictures. I failed to take pictures of the old TV cabinets which were on the way to the dump. Stop at my house first, please.
This is our first reincarnation of the TV cabinets. We split them up added feet for height and an angled platform between them for my computer area. I don't like my computer on my desk. But it needs to be close to where I am designing and drawing. We added another find. an abused oak bookcase. I painted them an antique green from Sherwin and Williams called Svelte Green. I sanded them back as if used for a hundred years and then antiqued with a chocolate wash. I sealed the whole mess with a satin poly. I also had found this old oak desk on the side of the road and I made it my own.
We built pine open fronted doors and stapled chicken wire to the back. We also added a couple of cross boards for stability. These cabinets were six feet tall. I didn't want all my unorganized junk showing, so the doors were a must.
We were heating our little cottage with a little electric fireplace. It works great. Couldn't stand to look at it.
We brought in the old bookcases.
My wonderful hubby built an enclosure and raised the electric fireplace. The old green bookcases were place on either side. He attached them to the wall studs for sturdiness. The upper blank area was wired for TV. So we built up the top of the fireplace area to make it all look more custom.
I bought small feet from Lowes and then added six inches of 4x4 to make the feet taller. This makes the cupboards almost eight feet tall with the crown molding.
Hubby Crown molded all the kitchen cabinets and these new additions. I painted the red cabinets several colors of red and then antiqued them. The kitchen cabinets are painted a cream and the upper cabinets have beaded glass.
My crazy fun fridge sits next to the red cabinet. You can see all the gritty details on this site: http://sksartell.blogspot.com/2014/04/sks-fridge-to-vintage-steamer-trunk.html
I added filmy fabric to the back to hide all the misc. stuff. It hides the oven and our microwave. Plus another pantry. I love fun and unique hardware. I pick odds and ends up on travels from all over when I get the chance. I have boxes full. People from various lands and states send me cool stuff, just for fun. They know eventually the prize will find a new home.
I used two beloved rod iron rose pieces and overlapped them and attaching them to the blank space above the fireplace.
I tiled the surround with a pretty cream glass tile. This helps bounce light around in my tiny space. I used an italian chair rail along the top of the tile. I love the textual look.
These are the rest of the cabinets in the kitchen area. I added a antique looking beaded glass to my upper cabinets after I had painted the interiors dark chocolate. I also have electrical in each cabinet for lighting which is upcoming. I hope?
I forgot to add that my counters are concrete. Some are chocolate and my island is copper and rusted iron. You can see them here: http://www.hometalk.com/3227582/sk-sartell-concrete-to-copper
Can I have much more fun? Who knows. Only time will tattle...sk

To see more: http://sksartell.blogspot.com/2014/04/using-what-youve-got.html#more

• COONIE

Mine won't be near as detailed as sk sartell's (bookshelves into cabinets), but it'll save a lot of UGLY MESS ON FLAT SURFACE (like she says) - actually it's the hubby that freaks on me. LOL

• Tracy1961

I don't have a question. I just wanted to say what a Amazingly Beautious, Creative, Awesome Idea. I am going to give it a shot. I NEVER. do anything adventures. Thank You so much for this Awesome Idea .