Asked on Apr 1, 2018

How to get rid of wasps

Pam1418628Carol Ann JonesShirley
+3

• Pg

Take a look at each of these articles to answer your question. I hope they help. The aerosol method does work well. Just be sure to spray at night, as that is when the wasps are in the nest for the night. Otherwise, the wasps may try to sting you, and whether they do or not, will build another nest. Best wishes.

Oh, those things are a nuisance! Here's what I do. Get a large plastic pop bottle, cut the top 1/3 off, put about an inch of some sweet liquid in the bottom 2/3, remove the cap and invert the top 1/3 into the bottle, small hole facing down. Make sure there is about 1 inch between the bottle top, where the cap was, and the liquid. The wasps will sense the sweet stuff, go down to get it and drown. They can't get back up. Keep an eye on the bottles as they fill up quickly sometimes. You can place these all around the yard, and nothing that drinks the liquid will be harmed. If you have ground wasps or ground bees, that's another problem. Those you attack at night. You have to be fast:) Or, get someone who is fast:) What you do for these, is at night, turn the house lights off, get a couple tiki lights, the kind you set fire to, pound them into the ground near the nest (you can do this during the day), and when it gets dark, light the lamps. Then, here comes the fast part, get a shovel, spray the nest area with wasp spray, use the shovel to disturb the nest and when they come out, run like heck towards the house! The wasps will see the lights and attack them as they think that they are the aggressors. If they see the house lights, they will attack that too, and, whomever is running. So, keep the house lights off so they don't see the runner! The fire will kill the wasps/bees that fly into it. In the morning, spray the nest with more wasp spray. You may have to do this a couple of times if the nest is huge or deep into the ground. Good luck. Oh, if you get stung, make a paste of meat tenderizer and water. Put it on the sting as soon as possible and cover lightly with gauze. The meat tenderizer will pull the stinger and poison out and keep swelling to a minimum. Don't let the dog around you, he may find you tasty:)
  • Ebbjdl

Commercial wasps spray, find it at Homedepot or Lowe's. Spray from a distance, and run away fast.
  • Shirley

tempo bug spray ( find it on the internet) spray it into the wasp hole. The get in on them selves and drags it in to the nest and in a day or two they’ll all be gone.
  • Carol Ann Jones

You may find this suggestion bizarre but it works. You can purchase gray "bags" on line. You hang a couple in your yard where the wasps are a bother. This mimics the look of a hive and the wasps believe there are others there with a hive and go elsewhere. I didn't believe it either BUT a couple of years ago I bought two, hung them up and a rare wasp shows up around my deck now. Prior each year there were wasps and nest here and there and now that doesn't happen. Just put "wasp deterrent" into the serarch...you'll see these things come up.
  • Pam1418628

Depending on where they are and whether you know if you are allergic to them or not,it might be a good idea to call your local bee keeper association and find yourself an expert. I had them in the siding of my house and sprayed Raid wasp and hornet spray where I saw them going in....they started streaming out 4 feet further down where I kept catching them in every container I could find...for hours...I went through 6 cans of that stuff. ...I thought they were gone..WRONG! My boyfriend went to open the flue in the fireplace months later and they flew into the house....being fatally allergic to them, I had to run out of the house barefoot with no coat on into the snow to get away from them.
    I called and got a specialist to come out...he said since I had not located the main hive, they came back...since it was Winter by then and there were no leaves on the trees, it did not take him long to locate this HUGE gray nest in a tree 30 feet from my house and about just as high up the tree. He got up there, removed that, smoked the wasps out of the chimney and siding, sealed up all places of entry and got up on the roof and put screening over the chimney and then put screening over all of the vents on the outside of the house except the dryer vent. It cost a lot less than I thought it would and I lived in the house for 6 more years with no problem and the lady who bought it from me was there for 20 years with no problems. It was worth it to hire someone who actually knew what they were doing. Good luck to you.