Anna Dilkd
Anna Dilkd
  • Pitman, NJ
Asked on Apr 1, 2018

Help with backsplash, please??

Shore grandmomDfmMissy Burch
+10

I want to update my kitchen backsplash. the wall is so close to the stove and gets hot. Any idea what I can use for a new backsplash that wont burn or turn brown from heat?
q help with backsplash please
Formica back splash
  • Jcraw

You can certainly use ceramic/porcelain tiles, since they are fired at about 1200 degrees. I would suggest you use large tiles, like floor tiles, rectangles or squares. They’re dramatic, but it’s also less grout to keep clean. I’d also suggest you not use pure white grout.
    I would measure the backsplash area and lay it out on graph paper (you can download it and print it if you don’t have any. Two to five blocks on the paper for each inch of backsplash. cut out of another piece to show the different sizes of tiles available -you might decide to mix squares and rectangles. It will give you an idea of how much you need and an attractive layout. If you do decide on tiles, please buy a few extra. One never knows, though if all goes perfectly, glue some feet on one for a cutting board.
    • Bernice H

I like this idea,the wall IS really close..wow! And I think large tiles are the way to go,you might be able to stick them on also. I had thought of tin...but it might get too hot if you accidentally hit your arm against it. No,I would not use wood. I know how hot my stove gets,it is newer and cheaper. I can’t touch the stove top when a burner is going. 🌺
  • Ginger Hogue

I just saw a video on home talk using shipping pallets cut up and sealed to look like strips of wooden tile.
  • Linda Sikut

I would suggest going to your local Lowes, Home Depot or other store that would carry different types of backsplashes. Look at the types that available locally and choose something you like. I don't know what is behind that Formica, but it might be worth taking it down if there is wallboard behind it. Wishing you the best.
  • Ann

Perhaps a wide line of ceramic tile from a home improvement store. Once up, they are easy to clean,,just wipe off stove spatters that would ruin any paper-based wall covering L8e wallpaper or paperboard.
  • Kac32568501

Ceramic tile could work well in that area.
  • Dee

ceramic or porcelain would be ideal for this spot. It is such a small area that you can get them at Home Depot or floor and decor. If money is tight Habitat for Humanity has a lot of tiles at about 25 cents each.
  • Missy Burch

I have a steel back splash & love it. It's super easy clean up & was so easy to install, with liquid nails. You can buy it by the roll, in a variety of colors & patterns(mine is black) & it cuts fairly easily.
  • Dfm

i have a sheet of steal as a backsplash....love it! I had to cut mine to size, found plastic strips to cover the rough edges.
  • Shore grandmom

Definitely go with tile, I would think any kind of metal would get very hot. You can use a plain field tile and some kind of decorative tile for an accent. At the edge of the wall, I would use a schluter. it will give it a nice clean finished look. You should be able to find them at Avalon tile in Woodbury. There are different colors, materials and profiles. I've used them in a bathroom and on a fire place. Whatever you use, make sure to seal it so it's easier to keep clean.
  • See More