Epoxy Over Laminate Countertop

$25

My daughter wanted her bathroom redone in an industrial theme, so her gray faux granite countertops had to go.
Here is the original countertop. We have already removed the drawer fronts and doors for painting. The laminate is still in great condition, it just doesn't match what we wanted in the room. I removed the sink, so I would not have to worry about protecting it from the epoxy.
I taped off the entire area and painted a black base coat. It is very important to protect the floors and the front of the cabinet. The epoxy is supposed to run and drip, so you need to be very careful when prepping the area.
I mixed the epoxy carefully, poured out three portions into small cups for accent coloring and then tinted the main container with black. I then poured the black onto the countertop. I used a notched trowel to spread the epoxy on the horizontal surfaces and then used a paintbrush on the vertical surfaces. The epoxy self-levels and in the process it drips down the front and the side.
Now the fun begins! While the black is still wet you start adding your accent colors. First I used gold. I was going for a "river" of color, with just small touches of the colors mixed into the main black area.
Next up was red. There is no particular pattern that is needed. I just kept the majority of the color in one band, and drizzled a little bit in the other areas.
The main accent is silver, so I pored it on top of the other colors and outlined the entire "river" in just the silver.
Once the colors were all poured, I started swirling them together using a paint stirrer. I left the silver on the outer edges untouched by the other colors, I just pulled it out in spikes using a clean paint stick.
I then used a torch to remove the bubbles in the epoxy and to move the color around even more.
As you can see the color starts to drip over the edges, causing a waterfall effect.
Here is the finished countertop with the sink reinstalled and the new faucet.
Here is the completed room.

Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen

• Cera
    Cera

Did you have to keep going over the backsplash with the epoxy to get it to stay instead of running down to the sink top?

• Ida9464
    Ida9464

Don’t take this as insult because it is NOT! I love what you did and find it unique and beautiful even after seeing many countertops done with epoxy, but my question is what does this countertop represent as far as “industrial theme” go? I guess I just don’t get it. (Still love it)

• Julie Wilson
      Julie Wilson

With the cabinets and the color it looks very art deco to me. pretty

• Sally
    Sally

Will this work over a rough countertop?

• Linda Carter
    Linda Carter

Wow this is GORGEOUS! The finished countertop looks very organic and your cabinets industrial and just interesting and unique. You are VERY talented!

• Diane
    Diane

I love this. Awesome job.