Asked on Apr 2, 2018

Do you think I should change my carpet when I sell my house?

Cynthia HGhi22279354Shore grandmom
+3

Someone recently told me that I should not change my carpet but I should give them an allowance to pick out their own carpet. My carpet is really old.

• What does your realtor recommend? Most people want hardwood these days. Each market is different. Where I live, they would just provide a credit or allowance for new flooring if it was brought up in negotiation. You never know what a new owner will do, I have seen people replace the flooring only to have it ripped up immediately to suit the new owners tastes.

No, I'd just give it a good shampoo. You may like a certain colour and they won't. I'd hold off on talking about an allowance unless they bring it up. I wouldn't do any updating, just a good cleaning and tidying up to make the furniture shine and the windows clean should be sufficient. Pick up the stuff that makes your home look lived in, buyers don't generally want to see your stuff laying around. Fresh baked cookies on the table, a bouquet of flowers in the living room and bedrooms and maybe a nice candle in the bathroom should help. But, no on the carpet:)

No, I'd just give it a good shampoo. You may like a certain colour and they won't. I'd hold off on talking about an allowance unless they bring it up. I wouldn't do any updating, just a good cleaning and tidying up to make sure the furniture shines and the windows are clean, should be sufficient. Pick up the stuff that makes your home look lived in, buyers don't generally want to see your stuff laying around. Fresh baked cookies on the table, a bouquet of flowers in the living room and bedrooms and maybe a nice candle in the bathroom should help. But, no on the carpet:)
  • Shore grandmom

Do not change anything unless it's in very bad shape. Money you put into a house might be ripped out by the new home owner because of having different tastes. Do not offer an allowance. Price your home accordingly. If you offer allowances, it will draw attention to the carpet and people will think you didn't maintain your home. And they'll wonder what else you didn't take care of. Home buyers think all kinds of crazy things when house hunting.
    Interview realtors and ask their opinion on how best to show your home. Pick one that makes sense and doesn't try to kiss your butt. Choose the one that you're comfortable with.
    Clean up your yard, and make sure you have a nice curb appeal. Cut the grass, have flowers blooming in the gardens. If it doesn't look good people won't bother coming in or will think you didn't take care of anything and their offer will be low.
    When showing your home, open all window coverings and turn on every light you have.. Light and bright. Make sure everything is clean (and keep it clean for short notice showings). Declutter and clean out closets, put things in storage unless you need them. Put extra furniture in storage. It will make your home look bigger. Remove personal items like pictures of family or drawings by your kids/grandkids. You want the buyer to picture themselves living there, not you. But, the most important thing is to price your home properly.
  • Ghi22279354

I wouldn't spend the money on new carpet, but I would have it cleaned so it doesn't distract from the appearance of the house. If you would want to offer a carpet allowance than that is fine.
  • Cynthia H

Many buyers now want hardwood or something similar. On the other hand, I've seen carpet in houses that looked new, and was supposed to be, but, I would have still replaced it. Talk to your realtor and find out what buyers are looking for in your price range and area.