Why doesn't my wisteria bloom?

+4
Last Summer was the first full year I for my Wisteria tree, but it didn't bloom. I live in Michigan, for reference. I also have a magnolia that doesn't bloom much. Do you have any tips for me?

• Judith Judith on Apr 02, 2018
    These are basically warm zone trees. Perhaps your cold temps are not allowing them to set blooms properly. Sounds like you need to select trees and shrubs that thrive in your zone. I know I cannot grow thriving birch trees in FL, but the wisteria and magnolia's are lovely. Everything has its ideal growing zone. Good luck.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Apr 02, 2018
    I wonder if it was possibly a climate insult to your spring buds.
    In my situation for example - its hydrangeas....In summer, branches produce new buds for the next spring. These buds stay dormant all winter and bloom in spring. If winter temperatures got too cold, or if there is a spring cold snap that kills the buds, non-reblooming Hydrangea macrophylla will not produce flowers that year.

A great resource that I have used and highly recommend .....is your local Cooperative extension. These offices are manned by a wonderful team of master gardeners that know your local situation quite well. There's also email ( submit a photo) Q&A resources that have helped my concerns and questions many times. Consider googling up your local extensions office.

Welcome to Ask an Expert
    Ask an Expert has always offered one-to-one expert answers from Cooperative Extension/University staff and volunteers from across the United States. The latest version expands that one-to-one relationship via the ability to make questions and answers publicly available, on an opt-in basis.
    Do an internet search ask garden expert and your state ———you'll find.......

”Fill out the Ask an Expert form below to submit your question. An Extension Master Gardener will reply via email within 48 hours. Please provide as much relevant detail as possible. If you attach photos, please ...”

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Apr 03, 2018
    For the wisteria, they take a good long while to get established, I would wait another year or two before worrying about the blooms.
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Apr 03, 2018
    Wisteria is finicky. I had one for about 7 years, never did bloom. I finally took it out.