Asked on Apr 2, 2018

How do you remove smell of moth balls from fabric?

Missy BurchTokopahJohnavallance82
+4

I stored my husband's old ties and bow ties in a plastic box with 1 or 2 moth balls. Now I want my grandsons to wear the ties. They won't until I figure out how to remove the moth ball smell. Also suggestions on what I should have used instead of moth balls?

• Donna Sheppard
    Donna Sheppard

Try hanging outside to see if fresh air will remove the odor. May take few days to a week so be sure to anchor ties to hangar, etc.
  • Flipturn
    Flipturn

Are the ties a natural fibre such as wool, silk, or cotton. Or are they a synthetic polyester?
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

If fresh air doesn't get rid of it all, try putting them in a container you can close and put in charcoal, making sure the charcoal doesn't get on the ties, perhaps put some wax paper or something between them without covering it all, or use another container or pan for the ties or charcoal. Check every few days to see if the charcoal has done the trick. If it takes a while to work, you may want to replace the charcoal.
  • Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Try Febreeze for fabric.......
  • Tokopah
    Tokopah

You could try airing them outside on a cloudy/windy day. Or take them to a drycleaners and explain your moth ball smell problem.
  • Missy Burch
    Missy Burch

I second the febreeze option.