Painting without sanding - tips?

+9
I want to paint this bed frame black to complete a look I’m going for in a guest room, but the thought of all that sanding is the stuff of my nightmares. Any ideas?
q painting without sanding
  • Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Apr 03, 2018
    Use a chalk paint or fusion paint. The only prep you will need is a thorough cleaning with a degreaser (krudkutter or tsp and water solution). You will however require a top coat/sealant for chalk paint...either wax or polycrylic.
  • You32456795 You32456795 on Apr 03, 2018
    Use KLEAN-STRIP Deglosser it is a liquid you wipe on to degloss and etch the surface so it will allow paint to adhere to the surface. Find it at home improvement stores.
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Apr 03, 2018
    Liquid sandpaper. Buy at paint stores.
  • Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Apr 03, 2018
    if its clean and smooth and not shiny, you can just prime it and paint, no need to strip or sand.
  • Julie Carr Starkey Julie Carr Starkey on Apr 04, 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions! My Dad always used deglosser stuff when he refinished tubs. I’m going to try that, if it ever stops raining here.
  • Barbara Irion Williams Barbara Irion Williams on Apr 04, 2018
    Use STIX buy Benjamin Moore....Then paint it whatever color you want...No sanding, scraping nothing!!
  • Missy Burch Missy Burch on Apr 04, 2018
    chak paint- no need to sand anything.
  • Christina Christina on Apr 05, 2018
    I used Citristrip to strip my cabinets. Sanding isn’t required. it has a thick viscosit so you can paint it on to vertical surfaces and just scrape off. It does make a mess but a dollar tree drop cloth makes for an easy clean up.
  • Barb Barb on Apr 06, 2018
    Spray paint works wonderfully and be sure to get 2x or more with primer in it, in satin, not flat or glossy. I have transformed a whole bedroom with spray paint. Be sure to use light coats and it’s drys pretty fast and for 2 buck buy the snap on trigger spray gun this will help even spraying and no drop marks.📌