Theresa Perez
Theresa Perez
  • Sacramento, CA
Asked on Apr 3, 2018

Is it pretty simple to texture walls? What if there is exposed drywall

JoeRan2188341Tim
+9

I pulled paneling off the walls in my kitchen. It appears my walls need sanding but in so doing, I also removed what appears to be the first paper layer of the drywall. Any suggestions are helpful.
q is it pretty simple to texture walls what if there is exposed drywall
    • Jann Layman

This happened to me as I was doing a Master Bath Flip. Patience.
      1. Gently remove any loose sheet rock skin.
      2. Lightly sand. ( this is a very dusty process, tape area off.)
      3. Begin adding GLIDDEN JOINT COMPOUND-- thin.
      4. Let dry for two days. Really.
      5. Lightly sand and clean up including wall wipe down.
      6. Apply thin second coat.
      7. Let dry for two to three days.
      8. Lightly sand. Final cleanup.
      9. The next day you can begin to paint. Careful to not have too much paint on roller or you may have a repair fail.
      This does take time, but I promise very rewarding.
  • Dianacirce70

you can skim coat it with drywall mud and then do a light sanding so that it evens out. Basically, all you do is put drywall compound on a trowel, cover the entire area so that the recessed part is as high as the rest of the surface, let it dry and then sand it. You may need to do more than one coat, but always sand in between. Then prime it before you paint
  • Amanda Bishop

Google or YouTube search diy paper bag walls! They are easy to do and look good of you do them right!
  • ErnSue

put a skim coat of drywall plaster and seal with primer.

• Janet

Use joint compound and put on with a trowel . After it dries you can just paint no sanding required.
  • Jeanette S

You need to cut out those loose edges...maybe using a one edge razor blade carefully before you do anything else.

I had the same problem with a small half bath. I refused to have sanding of compound in my house...I did not want all that dust in the vents! We put pre-primed bead board at the bottom, left a few inches uncovered; and then used "texture paint...this requires a special "texture paint roller" that you can buy at the big box store when you get your paint.

Just make sure you paint straight up and down and then cut a small stiff brush bristles off to a tool to stipple the corners and the area next to the ceiling. DO NOT texture in the space you left vacant for the flat molding.

MAKE SURE you allow a few days for this to dry before you try to paint it. And paint both the top and bottom before you put on the molding and baseboards

I picked a darker color for the beadboard and a lighter color on the color sample for the top. It is actualy a very pretty peachy color that does not show up as pretty as it really is!

We then put up a white chair railing with small accents in the corners...this allows you to fit molding to the corners without having to miter them as a straight edge butts right up to another straight edge. These can be sawed shorter if you use smaller molding...I cut about 1-1/2" off of mine.

This has been up for 8-10 years and I LOVE IT! I don't think it would serve as a good backsplash but in a kitchen, nothing but something waterproof and scrub proof works there.

, Notice how well the corner piece gives a finished look, This is a view of how the texture paint looks up close
  • Tim

Before you cover exposed area you need to seal the raw paper. If you apply joint compound directly to the raw paper there is a good chance the moisture in the compound will cause the paper to bubble. I have tried several sealers over the years. I have had the best luck with a sherwin Williams product by the name of RX35 sealer. Goes on like paint with a roller or brush. I suggest using a cheap roller cover or brush and then just throw them away. It’s almost impossible to clean them good enough for reuse. Good luck with your project.

• Ran2188341

I'm sure someone a long long time ago asked that very same question with brick and mortar. I can imagine you will be one of the new idealists with this style. If it meshes well with your decor, why not!!!!
  • Joe

For a unique texture, put the joint compound on the wall thick and spread it with wadded up newspaper.