Tips for Spring Cleaning Your Windows

$10

If your windows are like mine, they probably need a good cleaning to remove the layer of grime winter weather has left. Here are my tips on how to get those windows sparkling inside and out, including the screens!
Start by removing your window screens if you have them. We attached our water hose to a bottle of Windex Outdoor Cleaner and followed the directions to wash and rinse the windows.
We used a scrubber/squeegee pole to clean and dry the windows. We used the scrubber side once the Windex solution was on and the squeegee side to dry the panes after rinsing.
I tackled the screens with the mini round brush attachment on my  Model 53 Steam Machine from HomeRight. I laid them flat on the patio and used the brush to lightly scrub the screen and frame to remove the dirt and cobwebs. After steaming it clean, I dried the frames using a rag so they were ready to be put back into the windows.
Next, I headed inside to clean the inside of the window panes and the tracks. The tracks on the outside were pretty dirty. I used the same mini round brush attachment that I used on the screens to scrub the dirt away in the track, then I wiped it clean with a rag.  
I use the squeegee attachment to steam the inside of the pane. See how the dirt just melts right off!!
While I was at it, I took the curtains down and washed them too. Now all of our windows are clean and sparkling! To see how I cleaned my doors too, head over to my blog! http://www.realgirlsrealm.com/2018/03/spring-cleaning-your-windows-and-doors.html

Mary from Real Girl's Realm

• Joanna Tiroff

Can not take off screens. Now how to clean outside of the windows?

• Bbunny42

On my new windows, the screen is not removable either, but I use this Windex product anyway. Once I spray the top of the window and the screen I then push the screen up (it's only a half-screen) and soap the bottom part of the window, let it sit while I soap the next window, then go back and rinse the first one, etc. While the screen is up, I make sure to wash the window sill. This product really does work -- I can do eight windows and the front door in an hour. And it's under $10 at Home Depot -- have not seen it at Walmart of the grocery store.

• Dotty Walsh

Oh my gosh. Where did I get those curtains. I just love them.

• Rose Broadway

I fell for your curtains too and did some hunting. Yes, Target has some that tie up, but they don't have the rivets like yours. Great video.

• Maureen Nieberlein

My windows are pretty high up, how did you put an extender on the squeegee? Were you able to squeegee all windows?

• Mary from Real Girl's Realm

We actually purchased it this way from the big box store and yes, we were able to reach all of our windows. But, our house is a ranch style with a basement, so we only had a few that were off the ground by a story.

• Sandra Hohenwarter

When washing my windows I do one side vertical and the other side horizontal. This way shows me which side of the window the streaks are on. I love this information thanks to all!

• Deborah Hawkins

I need to do my window again so everything you have shown me I will try. Did them in late part of winter about March and notice streaking. Where can I get a new sqeege since mine doesn’t work any more. It came with a set. I love the idea of using jet dry too. My screens do come off but very hard to do and I h ave r esorted to taking window off but too heavy for me now. I’m 67 now with M.S. so I’ll try all these sort cuts see if they work. Thank you.

• We got our squegee at a discount store called Ollies, but you can probably find one at most hardware stores or possibly even Walmart.