How a Lonely Coffee Table Became a Very Happy and Productive Desk!

$29

When I found an old coffee table on the side of the road, I felt it had potential... So I brought it home and there it sat for who knows how long. In fact, my garage was so full, there wasn't any place to store it inside! So my neighbours enjoyed it for a spell instead. Aren't they lucky?Fast forward several weeks, I visited my son at his place and noted he really needed a desk. With Christmas fast approaching, maybe I could make something...Once I got home, that lonely little coffee table promptly came inside with me, and a few hours later, this is what it became!
This little white coffee table had cute lines, but I didn't need a coffee table... I needed a desk! I crossed my fingers, hoping my vision would work out.
First the top was removed, then the legs were cut off.
Next, 2x4s were attached to the sides of the main table part to become legs! How easy is that?
The entire piece was then painted in black.
To create a top, I screwed some support boards to 3 fence planks, then stained them.
I could have just used that as the top and called it a day, but I felt, how cool would it be if the top flipped up?
So I attached the top with brackets so it could open like a door. Perfect!
Grabbing a fence plank and an Office stencil, a quick rustic office sign was created since this was a desk and all!
Office - small is a stencil from Funky Junk's Old Sign Stencils HERE
With a thrift store found bulletin board painted out in black, and a few other office supplies hung up, the Office results were complete!
Now that's one productive coffee table!
And a happy one too. It's busy keeping my son company every day, plus my neighbours get to enjoy my clean front yard once again.
Plus, this ended up being a very price efficient Christmas gift!
Seems like a very good win for everyone this round...
What do you think of the outcome?
Be sure to visit the blog post link HERE to see other rustic office ideas too!

• Funky Junk's Old Sign Stencils Office - small  (https://www.funkyjunksoldsignstencils.com/products/office)
  • Fusion Mineral Paint - Coal Black  (https://fusionmineralpaint.com/where-to-buy/)
  • Coffee table  (curb-side find)

Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• Chuck

What is the height of the desk?

• Jaswan

So what did you actually use from the coffee table? Was the original top not salvageable? You used the original lower shelf and - side pieces....

it's a great idea and the outcome is terrific- but I think the inspiration of upscaling the table is the gem of this post

thanx!!

• Hi Jaswan! Thanks for the kudos!

I used everything but the top and original legs. If you visit the original blog post link, you can read more about it.

• Sabrina

Love it! Too bad you couldn’t use the original top!! How did you remove it?

• Wanda

Yes

• Etta
    8 minutes ago

Brilliant! I expect that your son was thrilled with the desk as well as the history of how the desk came to be.