Asked on Apr 4, 2018

Any ideas on making toys for toddlers from Styrofoam?

KposiesRedcatcecMissy Burch
+4

I have a lot of white Styrofoam pieces in different thicknesses and would like to make some toys out of these. Thanks.

• While I think this is a great idea, I hesitate for a minute. Is it the type of styrofoam like cups? I just worry with little ones that put things in their mouths and chew. If it is easy to shred this could be problematic. Now if it is a harder more compact type styrofoam, say the type wreaths are made, then a different story, then go for it.
  • Janice White
    Janice White

I dont think i would use styro foam for toddlers' toys they tend to chew on things and some of the styrofoam could choke them.
    Betsy

I'm with Janice, toddlers have teeth and they can bite off chunks of the foam and choke. I wouldn't use it at all. And, I'm not sure if the kids could pass it if they ate it, or if it would get stuck in their abdomens. I'd just recycle it or use it in planters to take up room and make the planter lighter. Or, if your yard is mostly clay, you can mix it in with the dirt to make it not so clumpy. But for a child's toy? No, I don't think I'd do that. Sorry to rain on your parade:(
  • Sharon
    Sharon

Yeah sounds like a choke hazard to me,,,, cause you know kids they are gonna break that stuff up.
  • Missy Burch
    Missy Burch

Styrofoam is toxic. I would very much hesitate to make kids toys out of it.
  • Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

It's another no vote for children's toys, toxic and choke hazard.
  • Kposies
    Kposies

I WOULD NOT USE STYROFOAM FOR TOYS. IT SHREDS AND PARTICLES CAN BE SWALLOWED BY LITTLE ONES. USE IT FOR PACKING PURPOSES.