Asked on Apr 4, 2018

How can I clean (wash) IKEA flat (cotton) area rug

DfmJoy30150932Melissa V
+4

too heavy with water to use my front load washer. It is the style with colourful stripes. Size about 4 ft x 6 ft

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

I’ve washed Ikea wool rgs in my bathtub.
  • Melissa V
    Melissa V

Is there a label on the underside with care instructions? If it came rolled and wrapped there might be an info sheet in there.
    I‘d be careful about the colors running washing it in a tub (and it would weigh a ton!). You can always check with IKEA before you harm your rug (and your back!). 😃
  • Dfm
    Dfm

you might want to wash it at a laundrymat...in one of the industrial type washers
  • Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

Put it on a flat surface outside, hose down and then use a soft brush to add some soapy water to clean. Rinse really well to make sure all suds are removed and hang over a fence or something similar to let it dry.
  • Dfm
    Dfm

dont forget the color catchers...they pickup any dye in the washwater...with a larger item use 2 at least. Line dry If there are any spots...or a non skid backing in place.