Asked on Apr 4, 2018

What size round rug under my round table ?

Molly MuhlBarbJohnavallance82
+8

Table top is 54 X 54 If I pull chairs out as for sitting its
93 X 93 ? But if I buy a 8 ft. X8 ft. It takes up my kitchen. any suggestions?
  • Vivian.parisi
    Vivian.parisi

i have done interior design for many years and one suggestion i have is to put a smaller round rug just under the pedestal bottom. i
    If there is a leaf for the table making it oval a rectangular rug can also be used. Using an indoor outdoor rug will save you a lot of headaches for accidents that may occur.
  • Ireland Dowling
    Ireland Dowling

The key to all floor rugs that are placed underneath any piece of furniture is to be sure that there are at least 2 feet left all the way around. I would still choose to use the bigger rug, as a smaller one will cause the chairs to hit the ends which usually ends up damaging the rug. It is also a pain if you only have half of the chair on top. As you push back and get up the same thing will happen. Is there any way you can push the table over to the left a tad? I see you have french doors. It would look more centered that way also. Good luck.
  • Kenneth Beer
    Kenneth Beer

Buy a round rug
  • Ana Bacallao
    Ana Bacallao

I think it’s visually more attractive when the rug is at least 12”-24” larger than the table so it can accommodate the chairs.
  • Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

If it is the smaller size most of the time, I would go with a rug with at least a six foot diameter, preferably round.
  • Ha! I have exactly the same dilemma. My house has an eat in kitchen - no dining room and round table and chairs. Here, see if this helps.

• Alice
    Alice

You have to make sure the chairs are still sitting on the rug when the chairs are pulled out. So... just pull those chairs out a normal amount and measure. You don't want anuone to have a hard time pulling their chair up to the table, because it's caught on the outside of the rug. Here's a video that will help...
  • Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Buy the size you think would sit right in your situation, could be 54 x 54 or just the next size up. Try cutting out the size in paper? and try it first.........
  • Barb
    Barb

Alice is totally right the proper rug size is when the chair is pulled out. BUT being the area your table is in you are going to have to buy a square one, measure and check your local carpet store for left over piece in the back and have them cut and bound the rug. Can the table go smaller and you do have a entrance door there to that kinda close.
  • Molly Muhl
    Molly Muhl

WIll a 7x7 round rug work under a table that is 48" in diameter? Having a hard time finding a 8x8 rug that will meet our needs. Thx