How to clean sterling silver?

+5
I have some silver pieces that have been in storage. They are black in color now. What is a quick & easy way to clean?

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 04, 2018
    plain white toothpaste
  • Mary Smith Mary Smith on Apr 04, 2018
    the black is tarnish. Get a good tarnish remover (Walmart) and spend an hour or so removing the tarnish with a soft cloth. then wash it in warm water. Don’t put it in the dishwasher.
  • Emily Emily on Apr 04, 2018
    Wrights and/or Goddards. But first see how much you can wash off. Are you sure it is sterling?

• Eileen Eileen on Apr 04, 2018
    Google clean sterling silver and u will find many videos on easy ways to clean sterling silver
  • Estrzartz Estrzartz on Apr 04, 2018
    There is a product where you put a metal plate in water and you dunk your silverware but you have to touch the metal plate and it instantly takes the tarnish off. The only product name I can remember is Tarnex (sp?)
  • Kaylaleah Kaylaleah on Apr 04, 2018
    Use Tarnex, available in hardware stores and some groceries
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Apr 04, 2018
    If you don't want to use silver polish here is another method: https://www.mom4real.com/clean-silver-remove-tarnish/
  • William William on Apr 04, 2018
    I sell a lot of silver on Ebay. Jewelry, silverware, serving sets. Silver polish and dips tend to remove some of the metal. The foil method doesn't work that great and still leaves a grey film that still needs to be removed AND it also removes some of the metal. I use white toothpaste (not gel)and a damp toothbrush. For large items I use a damp cloth. Also works on copper, brass, gold, porcelain, ceramics, sneakers, plastics, etc. For my sales I needed one product for cleaning everything.