White Oak Studio Designs
White Oak Studio Designs
  • Pullman, MI

Farmhouse Screen Door Roadside Rescue

We pulled off another roadside rescue on one of our favorite Sunday afternoon drive. I spotted this wonderful old screen door lying on the ground waiting for trash pickup and immediately thought of mounting it on the backside of our pool house. I love its length and long lines, two old rusty hinges and even its imperfect screen.
I’ve wanted to redo the vignette on the back side of our rustic, cedar stained building for some time and was just waiting for the right vintage piece to find its way to me. Surprisingly on Easter day evening it did!
First I scrubbed the wood using a scrub brush. Then I painted it using a water based primer. Then I added some color painting it with the same lime green exterior paint I used on my garden playhouse trim.
I had considered leaving the wood natural because it was so pretty because I could tell by looking at it that it would clean up nicely with some stain and hemp seed oil. Finally I decided that approach would have been beautiful if used inside our home, on a vintage looking panty for example. But I would be using this screen door “flea market style” and out-of-doors so it needed a nice bright color to show up against the wood sided pool shack.
I decided to position it off center and to use a few rusted funky junk pieces to balance it. I’m very happy with the results!
Now I just have to gather my pile of hang-able junk and rework the vignette on the left hand side of this structure!
farmhouse screen door roadside rescue, diy, doors, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
The finished screen door is now mounted and on display.
Hubby screwing the newly painted screen door onto the backside of pool house.
Gene just finished put up a sunflower bird house on the peak of the building.
The old sad vignette "before." Half of the vintage junk had fallen off over the years.
The farmhouse screen door just as we rescued it, adorned in natural wood and dirt.
Screen door is being primed using a water base primer/sealer.

To see more: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com