How far do you have to dig down before you add the 2x4 and then pour

+4
  • Ken Ken on Apr 05, 2018
    You're going to have to be a bit clearer on your question. What kind of project is this?
    • Haw32920968 Haw32920968 on Apr 09, 2018
      I would like to make a patio cement place. Wanted to know how far do you have to dig down before putying the frame and adding the cement. Thank you
  • Betsy Betsy on Apr 05, 2018
    What is it you are doing? If you are trying to build something to attach the 2x4's to, there is a really neat product that you just pound into the ground. They are called Oz posts, and the price isn't bad, but they are usually for 4x4. They come in different length to pound into the ground. No digging at all. I've had mine in the ground over 10 years now. If you get these, get a piece of wood just a little taller than the cap to pound the thing into the ground. It depends on your area, Hawaii?, and the weight of the thing you want to support, as to how far down to go. Check at the millworks counter at your local hardware.
    • Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Apr 06, 2018
      May I ask you what you built? I want to put in a temporary privacy "fence" basically just hang some lattice in between some post I saw an idea hear on this site that I really like and would be easy enough plus it's temporary so I don't want to pour cement and stuff. I live in northern illinois. Do you think that would be OK to use for something like that? It would only be no more then 12' in length. Thanks for any advice.
  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Apr 05, 2018
    If you're putting wood in the ground, make sure that it's pressure treated. That way, it won't rot. As for how deep, depends on what you're doing and where you live.
  • Elisha LaFleche Elisha LaFleche on Apr 06, 2018
    If you are on Hawaii, refer to Pung61. If you are in an area that freezes, you have to dig to just below the frost line. In the Midwest that's 4 feet. I'm now in Vermont with about the same frost line but digging 4 feet when you basically live on a giant rock is interesting.
    If you're on the rainy side of HI, I'd still dig down at least 2 feet or until you find firm, dry soil. You want to get below the moisture and sand.

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 06, 2018
    Sure, I built a trellis that is 8 feet tall, 5 feet wide and about 2 1/2 feet deep and a grape arbour that is 8 feet tall, 7 feet wide and about 4 feet deep. Here are some pictures.