How to get tomatoes to grow bigger and better. I water regularly.

+5
  • Betsy Betsy on Apr 05, 2018
    Check this site: https://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-tomatoes/ Also, planting Marigolds around the plants will keep tomato bugs away. If you are going to buy plants, (my suggestion), plant them deeper than what they are in the pots, at least 1/2 way up the stem or more. The stem will put out more roots and the plant will be sturdier. There are 2 different types of tomato plants, determinate and indeterminate. The determinate will grow low and bushy. The indeterminate will grow tall and leggy. When this one gets about 2 or 3 feet tall, cut the top off. The plant will put it's energy to putting out more branches instead of getting tall. You will have more tomatoes. Be sure to leave enough room between the plants so that they get sun and air. If you are planting in a row, I'd zig zag them to optimize the areas sun/air allotment.
  • Betsy Betsy on Apr 05, 2018
    Oh, I forgot, epsom salt is good for tomatoes and other plants. Check this site out: https://bestplants.com/epsom-salt-garden-cheats/
  • Banana peels, egg shells, coffee grounds.
  • Lokie Lokie on Apr 05, 2018
    Plant them deep. Remove all but the top 2 sets of leaves and plant them so just the those top leaves are showing. Make sure to remove the lower leaves before you do! They will root along the whole length of the stem underground.
  • Anne Brennan Anne Brennan on Apr 05, 2018
    Often, adding fertilizer specific to tomatoes helps. I always use organic so I have no concerns eating the harvested fruit. Keep in mind, how you feed/water varies due to weather, soil composition, location..... Adding extra food can burn plants, so follow instructions carefully.
  • Grandmasue10 Grandmasue10 on Apr 05, 2018
    When the buds start appearing, pinch them off to just leave 1 or 2 on a tip of the stem. Pinching is just removing some of the buds.
  • Lsherbach Lsherbach on Apr 05, 2018
    Consistent watering is key. Too little, then too much is not good. So keep the soil moist, but not wet. Add slow release fertilizer, and make sure there is at least 8 hours of sun. Good Luck!