Can I grow a tomato plant in a pot?

+6
  • Jennifer Jennifer on Apr 05, 2018
    Absolutely!
  • Leesa Osborne Leesa Osborne on Apr 05, 2018
    Yes
  • Emmen Emmen on Apr 05, 2018
    Absolutel, in fact they have patio tomato plants just for pots, but you can grow any kind in a pot!
  • Amanda Amanda on Apr 05, 2018
    Hi Irene. You sure can. Just make sure you have a big and deep pot. It will also have to be watered more often than if it was in the ground.I have even seen people use 5 gallon buckets. If you do make sure to drill a few drain holes in the bottom. You can even purchase a patio tomato plant. It is more like a cherry tomato.
  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Apr 05, 2018
    Hi Irene,
    As others have said, yes you can. Click below to read about the method. Wishing you the best.
  • Gk Gk on Apr 05, 2018
    Yes. But your pot has to be very big--a 5 gallon bucket works well. You can put a tomato cage in the bucket or pot as the plant grows. One thing to watch out for is once the plant is huge and has fruit on it--the pot/bucket can topple over in a strong wind--or storm. I place my large tomato plants in pots/buckets in a corner of my deck and actually tie the tomato cage to the deck railings so they don't topple over. I prefer planting cherry tomatoes in a large pot or bucket and keep those on my deck rather than a full size tomato plant. I still have to place a tomato cage around the plant--with the legs cut off shorter--but they have less of a tendency to topple over in a storm with strong winds.
  • Ana Santiago Ana Santiago on Apr 05, 2018
    Yes, first put a wire cage in the pot so the plant can walk the cage up as it grow.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 05, 2018