Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Atascadero, CA

DIY Boho Floor Pillow Using Dollar Store Rugs

$3

I don’t know about you, but I love a project that begins with, “I found these at the dollar store!”

Such is the case with this DIY floor pillow tutorial. I love the coziness created by floor pillows in home decor. It beacons a casual, “come on in and stay awhile.” They are great in a living room, on a patio, for a casual meal, for reading nooks, and for movie nights. The best is that it is another way to add color and texture to your decor, almost like layering an outfit with a scarf or fantastic necklace.

Often times, great overstuffed floor pillows can run a bit pricey. Since they are not a required staple for a room, I tend to ward off getting too spendy with them. The bummer is that I love them… so when I found these rag rugs at the dollar store, I decided to make a floor pillow instead! I love that the texture creates an instant boho vibe in my home!

Zest it Up

Photo Cred: Anya McInroy

diy boho floor pillow using dollar store rugs

Supplies:

• 2 rag rugs
  • burlap (a 6″ strip long enough to wrap the circumference of the rug)
  • cotton string
  • yarn needle
  • a pillow and/or batting

Directions:

I wanted my floor pillow to be extra stuffed, so I used about a 6″ wide strip of burlap and whip stitched it in-between the two rag rugs. It is pretty darn easy to do, even if you are not some great sewer. The sloppiness of the stitch looks great with the roughness of the rag rug texture. You obviously could just whip stitch two rag rugs together, but I like the extra fun that the burlap gives the pillow, and the extra large size it helps create!

Once you have three sides of the pillow sewn up, it is time to fill it. Since this is just a floor pillow, I used an old pillow to stuff the casing. In truth, I even added a little batting because my pillow turned out to be so big that it needed the extra plump.

Once I was happy with the plumpness, I just whip stitched the pillow closed using the cotton string and the burlap.

Not only did the pillow turn out colorful and big, but the rugs gave my floor pillow a real sturdiness. This is one very indestructible floor pillow!

I love how earthy and colorful this boho floor pillow turned out. It whipped up pretty darn quick, and cost me only a couple bucks to make. Gotta love when you can add so much character and comfiness to your space with such little sacrifice of time and money.

This is one of the many reasons I love DIY! Now, my kids have a fun landing pad for movie night! Pass the popcorn, please…..

Xoxo,

Chanda

Zest it Up

• Chynna

Why was the burlap needed, could you just as easily folded the pillow and then stitched the rugs?

• Mx BERRY

She said she could have done that but wanted it deeper.

• Olga Vorster

Wow this is beautiful! Will definitely make one

• Sue

This is absolutely brilliant. My question - why only one partial picture of the finished project? Love it, gonna make it.

• Josephine Tanner

Hope to make these for grandkids that have gone out on their own. Easy and a surprise gift.

• Spanky

Love your floor pillows, excellent idea! Also did you make your coffee table? It is beautiful!