Three Junk Clocks - Fixed and Flipped!

$40

My lovely wife Mariko and I are clock collectors! We collect old Japanese mechanical movement box clocks and display them around our house. We've dedicated a hallway to our favorite clocks too. An entire hallway full of tick-tock clocks! Imagine the sound at the top of every hour! I actually need to stop them all if my daughter has friends sleep over, because they say the noises scare them at night.

Why clocks? I've always been fascinated by the movement in a windup clock. I have a lot of success fixing junk clocks too. I found three junk Aichi Super Eight clocks at an on-line auction and was able to fix all three movements. This post is about the fixed and flipped clocks.

three junk clocks fixed and flipped
These are the junk clocks. They were mailed to me, so the seller stuffed the clocks with newspaper to keep the glass safe during transport.
three junk clocks fixed and flipped
These clocks were in pretty bad shape. It looks like they were left out in the rain. The wood holding the face on this one crumbled when I touched it with a screwdriver.
three junk clocks fixed and flipped
The three movements were all rusty, but basically just needed some TLC. Who is singing 'Waterfalls'?
three junk clocks fixed and flipped
I labeled the problems with the movements. The pictures on the bottom are the same movement.
three junk clocks fixed and flipped
Yucky! This body needed the most work.

three junk clocks fixed and flipped
These are the movements cleaned, oiled and running.
three junk clocks fixed and flipped
One door was too busted up to paint. I was able to save the side pieces of wood, but cut new pieces for the face and pendulum window. I glued on plastic cherry blossom beads for decoration and made leaves using epoxy clay. This is the door before it got painted.
three junk clocks fixed and flipped
The first clock! I used Jacobean Briwax on the new wood. I sanded the body and then primed and painted with acrylic black paint. I waxed the body with Annie Sloan Dark Wax.
three junk clocks fixed and flipped
The first clock!
three junk clocks fixed and flipped
The second clock! That color is Turner's Green Army milk paint. I sanded the body and then primed and painted with acrylic black paint. I waxed the body with Annie Sloan Dark Wax too.
three junk clocks fixed and flipped
The second clock!
three junk clocks fixed and flipped
The third clock! The color is Turner's Pistachio Green, but I think they should change the name to '100% baby blue'! Again, I sanded the body and then primed and painted with acrylic black paint. I waxed the body with Annie Sloan Dark Wax too.
three junk clocks fixed and flipped
The third clock!
three junk clocks fixed and flipped
These are the finished clocks! All fixed and flipped. I'm going to hang them in my workshop.
three junk clocks fixed and flipped
Junk to keepers! I hope you liked my post. For more fun visit Bryan's Workshop on Instagram and Facebook.

• Jake McBee

I would love to learn how to fix clocks, where did you learn?

Thanks and they look great.

• Lin12839117

What did you do to make clocks run again? I wet an outdoor clock and does not work anymore

• Bryan's Workshop

I'd love to help, but need some more info. Usually weatherproof clocks are quartz and run off a battery. Does your clock need a battery or do you wind it up with a key. What's the brand or trademark?

• Lori Jambois

I have 2 black forests clocks that don't work. I asked a guy I know how much it would cost to get them working. He charges 600.00 just to open the click. Not Including cost of fixing? Have ideas I will grab them out of storage and send pics.

• Bryan's Workshop

Hello Lori! Wow, that's expensive! Clock repair estimates are usually free and straight forward. There is a ton of Black Forrest Clock self repair info online too. If you bought them new, they probably only need leveled or oiled. If you definitely don't want to touch them yourself, look for clock repair in your area with free estimates. If your clock is an antique, some places have an insured mailing thing they do. I hope you get them fixed.

• Dpp8427503

I love clocks 🙃especially at daylight savings time change ( ha ha) I can relate to the tick tocking at night. thanks for sharing

• Bryan's Workshop

LOL! We don't do daylight savings in Japan and I really miss it. It gets dark at like 4:30pm in the winter time.

• Lori Jambois

• Bryan's Workshop

I'd love to help! You should also consider looking around for another clock shop. I had to get a new mainspring and it was only about $100 for the mainspring and installation. You should be offered a free estimate.