Three Junk Clocks - Fixed and Flipped!

12K Views
My lovely wife Mariko and I are clock collectors! We collect old Japanese mechanical movement box clocks and display them around our house. We've dedicated a hallway to our favorite clocks too. An entire hallway full of tick-tock clocks! Imagine the sound at the top of every hour! I actually need to stop them all if my daughter has friends sleep over, because they say the noises scare them at night.

Why clocks? I've always been fascinated by the movement in a windup clock. I have a lot of success fixing junk clocks too. I found three junk Aichi Super Eight clocks at an on-line auction and was able to fix all three movements. This post is about the fixed and flipped clocks.

Time: 2 DaysCost: $40Difficulty: Easy
  • three junk clocks fixed and flipped
These are the junk clocks. They were mailed to me, so the seller stuffed the clocks with newspaper to keep the glass safe during transport.
  • three junk clocks fixed and flipped
These clocks were in pretty bad shape. It looks like they were left out in the rain. The wood holding the face on this one crumbled when I touched it with a screwdriver.
  • three junk clocks fixed and flipped
The three movements were all rusty, but basically just needed some TLC. Who is singing 'Waterfalls'?
  • three junk clocks fixed and flipped
I labeled the problems with the movements. The pictures on the bottom are the same movement.
  • three junk clocks fixed and flipped
Yucky! This body needed the most work.

• three junk clocks fixed and flipped
These are the movements cleaned, oiled and running.
  • three junk clocks fixed and flipped
One door was too busted up to paint. I was able to save the side pieces of wood, but cut new pieces for the face and pendulum window. I glued on plastic cherry blossom beads for decoration and made leaves using epoxy clay. This is the door before it got painted.
  • three junk clocks fixed and flipped
The first clock! I used Jacobean Briwax on the new wood. I sanded the body and then primed and painted with acrylic black paint. I waxed the body with Annie Sloan Dark Wax.
  • three junk clocks fixed and flipped
The first clock!
  • three junk clocks fixed and flipped
The second clock! That color is Turner's Green Army milk paint. I sanded the body and then primed and painted with acrylic black paint. I waxed the body with Annie Sloan Dark Wax too.
  • three junk clocks fixed and flipped
The second clock!
  • three junk clocks fixed and flipped
The third clock! The color is Turner's Pistachio Green, but I think they should change the name to '100% baby blue'! Again, I sanded the body and then primed and painted with acrylic black paint. I waxed the body with Annie Sloan Dark Wax too.
  • three junk clocks fixed and flipped
The third clock!
  • three junk clocks fixed and flipped
These are the finished clocks! All fixed and flipped. I'm going to hang them in my workshop.
  • three junk clocks fixed and flipped
Junk to keepers! I hope you liked my post. For more fun visit Bryan's Workshop on Instagram and Facebook.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of April 19, 2018 10:41 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop/