Rock On

$6

While looking through the Pottery Barn online catalog for ideas to create this week's challenge, I found this darling rock/succulent arrangement. It was a simple display of nature's best - rock and greenery.
rock on
This is the Pottery Barn arrangement that inspired my challenge piece. There are faux succulents but I also noticed that there is also a faux rock. Wow! I like natural things, so I set out to find a natural rock.
rock on
I had to look no further than our front porch. That was where I found this little gem, a prize that we had brought back from Big Sur many years ago. Perfect!
rock on
I gathered some faux succulents from the Dollar Tree and placed them strategically on the rock before attaching them using my trusty glue gun.
rock on
After experimenting with a variety of arrangements...
rock on
I added more succulents, then less because succulents naturally grow close together because when they drop a baby leaf it will often take root next to the parent plant. The rock was perfect and genuine, the succulents while artificial, were still attractive.
rock on
My final arrangement is as it should be - a great little representation of what would grow in nature. I hope that you like my little Pottery Barn knock-off. Peace be unto you.

• Cla5633763

Did you know that the round holes in your rock were formed by Purple Sea Urchins? I have a similar rock that I brought back from WA and did research to learn why the holes were perfectly round.

• Den30975158

I agree that yours looks better than the one from Pottery Barn and many other succulent arrangements (both real and faux) I’ve considered recently. You inspired me so much I immediately went in my backyard and found a perfect rock to make one of my own. My Dollar Tree didn’t have any faux succulents and I was too impatient to shop around so spent more than you on the faux plants but I’m thrilled with mine. Considering the rock was free I still feel I saved a lot by making my own. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

• This is my kind of way to "grow" succulents. I love how natural and full that you made this look, and I agree, it IS much nicer than those pricey ones at Pottery Barn.