Farmhouse Style Shiplap Coat Rack

$75

Hey hey friends! Who’s ready for another DIY? This one may be a little more involved than my typical DIYs, but definitely worth the effort. I’m going to show you how you can make your very own farmhouse style shiplap coat rack.

My husband and I worked on this project together and I’m so pleased with the way it came out. I’m always so impressed with his skills. I love that I can give him a vision for something I want and he brings it to life. Of course, my favorite part was styling it all after it was completed. But working with power tools, is pretty high up there too.
I’ll share the dimensions we used, but you can make this a custom size to fit your space by adjusting the measurements as needed. Our shiplap coat rack is 48″ wide x 42″ high.

First, measure and cut the  shiplap boards to length using the  miter saw. We cut ours 48 inches long, for a total of 8 boards. Lay the boards face down on a flat surface, butting each one together.
To hold the boards together, we cut 3 – 6″ strips of  underlayment and placed them vertically on each end and in the center of the shiplap boards. We placed a little  wood glue and then used the  staple gun and  1/2″ staples to attach the boards. We stapled above and below each joint of the shiplap.

Now you have your shiplap backing complete. At this point, I painted the boards using some  white paint that I already had on hand.
After the paint dries, you will start adding your accessories.  First, we attached the  vintage hooks using the  drill and  1/2″ screws. We used a total of 4 hooks, spacing them apart evenly by using our  tape measure and marking where to attach them.
Next, we began working on the shelf. We attached the  corbels to the piece of wood first, to create the shelf. Make sure that the size of your corbels fit the size of your wood board. We used  9″ x 7″ corbels and a  1″ x 8″ x 42″ piece of wood.

When attaching the corbels to the wood, we installed the corbels about 3 inches in from the edge of the board on each side. The corbels that we purchased came with the screws and predrilled holes to attach them.

I purchased new corbels and give them a  vintage look (you can check out that tutorial by clicking here). We had an old piece of cypress that we used for the shelf, but you can use any type of wood you have available.

After we had our shelf made, we attached it to the shiplap boards. We attached the shelf about 10″ from the top of the shiplap boards and centered across the middle.
The last thing we did was attach the word “ Welcome.” I purchased this from Hobby Lobby and hung it on the shiplap using screws.

Now to install your shiplap coat rack. The coat rack will be fairly heavy so you want to make sure it’s supported well when you attach it to your wall. To provide the most support, it would be best to find your studs and screw into them using  1.5″ screws. You can countersink your screws and fill the holes with a little wood filler and touch up with paint so that your screws do not show.

Now you have your very own shiplap coat rack to hang in your entry or mud room. Who’s ready to try this Fixer Upper inspired project and make Chip & JoJo proud?

I’d love to hear any questions or suggestions below.

Heather Olinde

• Cti21306951

where did you find those interesting hooks?

• Bela

How many screws did you use to attach it to the wall?

• Heather Olinde

Hi Bela. We never screwed this into our wall because we made it to sell.

But I think 2 screws would hold it just fine, as long as they are screwed into studs.

• Mary Coakley

Beautiful idea and fabulous results

• Jeanne Martin

Most of the farmhouse style coat racks posted on Hometalk have a bench too. My foyer area is a little to narrow (with my must have foyer table in there!) to have a bench in there. Your coat rack is perfect for my foyer. Plus, it looks fairly easy to make. Thank you for sharing!!