Apt2B
Apt2B
  • Los Angeles, CA

How to Make a Folding Wall Art Table With Kyle Schuneman

$100

Learn how to transform an Art Print into a table that folds right up onto the wall. It's a small space lifesaver!
how to make a folding wall art table with kyle schuneman
Step 1: Prepare The Plywood
The first step in creating your foldable wall art table (once you have all the materials assembled) is to have a 1″ thick piece of plywood cut to match the dimensions of your canvas print. We recommend having a trained professional at a hardware store do this cutting so that you can save time, money, and elbow grease for the rest of the project! Once you have your plywood cut to size you’ll want to paint the edges of the plywood the same color as the frame of your canvas print. In the video Kyle uses a canvas print with a black frame. Therefore he chooses black paint for the edges of his plywood.
Once the plywood’s edges have been painted you’ll want to use contact paper to create a smooth and finished surface. Kyle again uses black contact paper since his canvas print features white and black as the dominant colors. However, he could have just as easily chosen white or any other color. Choose the color of contact paper that will work best for your style and your canvas print! Simply roll the contact paper onto the surface and smooth it out as you go. Try to avoid any bubbles or wrinkles!
Step 2: Attach The Hinges
Now that your plywood board is looking gorgeous it’s time to install the hinges. You’ll be applying two hinges to each side of the plywood. Place the center of each hinge about 3″ from the side of the plywood. Half of each hinge should be hanging over the side of the plywood when you start to screw them into place. Two of the hinges will eventually be flush against the wall, and the other two hinges will be flush against the top of the canvas print. Screw the hinges into the plywood and get ready to…
Attach the open side of the hinges to the canvas print and the wall! In the video Kyle supports the table on a set of stools and books so that he has it at the appropriate height. The height of the table should be the exact same height as the canvas print. Press the plywood against the wall and use the drill to screw the hinges into place. Then screw the hinges into the frame of the canvas print!
Step 3: Hook It Into Place
At this stage you should have a perfectly functional table using the canvas print as the legs and the plywood for the surface. But isn’t art supposed to hang on the wall? It sure is! The next step is to install the hook and latch to the wall so that the canvas print can hang in place as a piece of artwork when it’s not being used as a table. Fold the table up against the wall so that you can mark the proper height for the hook and latch. Use a pencil to mark the spot. Then drill the hook into place! You’ll also need to drill the latch onto the top of the canvas print frame.
Voila! A true work of art. Pun definitely intended.
Watch our full video for step by step instructions!

To see more: http://blog.apt2b.com/wall-table-2bhack/

• Carolyne

I wonder if this could be tweaked slightly to turn it into an ironing board instead of a table?

• Gracefullikeagazelle

That's a great idea too. I have a "soft ironing board" which I roll up & stick in a closet when not in use. Now I know what to do with it.

• Shay Johnson

I am thinking it sure could.

• Lynne Webb

I think so! if I was doing that the article says. 'Kyle supports the table on a set of stools and books so that he has it at the appropriate height'. I'd use another hinge and add a folding leg toward the front of the ironing board for stability. You simply can't apply much pressure with an iron if there isn't something for support. One thought, If you frame around the edges on the backside, the leg should fold and fit nicely in that space as well. The result is your 'picture' will be a bit thicker but that's OK. You'll accomplish what you need. Those pads that allow you to iron on a bed are the absolute last resort. Nowhere to set the iron when changing positions.

• Trudy Coyle

He used the stools and books for support until he had everything attached with the hinges, the art work is the actual legs, this was the point of attaching the plywood at the height of the picture, so that it serves as the leg when not hanging on the wall in 3 photos up you can see the stool is freely standing to the side for a seat not support. the art work is the legs.

• Tom

I remember my Grandfathers house in the 60's, the ironing board folded down from the back of a little pantry door.

• Pam

you could have a second picture hang next to the original...and when it came to iron, pull that picture down and use it as support under the top and near the middle...

you could also purchase a small hanging ironing board, hang on wall and get a picture with a deeper frame., use it to cover ironing board when not in use and remove as needed. ironing board by day - picture by nite :)

this is available from bed bat and beyond. about $23.00

Honey-Can-Do® Door Hanging Ironing Board in BlueThe Honey-Can-Do Door-Hanging Ironing Board features a space-saving design that can be easily hung over any standard door. The ironing board folds and locks upright securely and cushion bumpers protect your door from damage.

• Robert Lamborn

Were you drilling into studs on the wall?

• Brian Wilson

What are you talking about? The picture is becoming the leg.

• Brian Wilson

Opps that was for Lynne Webb.

• Brian Wilson

I’m guessing he probably just put short screws into the drywall so it could fall down later, maybe when he’s having dinner on it. Mind you that’s just a guess.

• Susie

Don't be snarky, Brian. Have a better day.

• Carole McKee

could this be done at end of island to create "drop-leaf" extension?

• Mona Blake

You could, but you would need a fold out brace on the side of the counter for support.

• Mark

I love the idea, however is a standard picture frame really sufficient to the weight of a table with everything on it including the occasional elbow. If it is strong enough, it seems a delicate balancing act, one wrong shift I would thing the thing could collapse with everything on it. Could the picture frame edge damage say a hardwood floor

• Margaret Green

I doubt that the frame could take a lot of weight. With regard to floor damage, maybe glue a strip of color matching felt along the bottom of the frame.

• Samantha Moore Davis

Or just use two pieces of plywood...one for the table top and one on the back of the picture for extra support.

• JudyH

Isn't it rather important to point out the standard eating table (30") or bar table height (42") so that the length of the artwork selected would be the correct proportion for the stools and proper seated leg room? Books piled on stools to measure seems to be a haphazard method. It also seems to me that a framed canvas without supports would be precarious. Why not cut a 1" thick piece of plywood the height desired and decopauge a print to it so that the 'leg' for stability?

• Rhonda S

As to the height, yes, and thank you for pointing that out. I happen to have a large canvas that I was going to hang in a diffrent room that I thought of for this project. It is 24 by 36. I would have to find adjustable hight stools or cut down bar height chairs to make this canvas practical. I also agree that additional structural support would be required if I were to use this particular stretched canvas. I plan to create an artwork for the space, so I'll have to give this aspect additional thought. I might be able to make the frame for the painting sturdy enough to act as "legs." I love coming here for inspiration, but rarely find anything I can do in an exact step-by-step transfer if it is more than a decor item. I still want to try this one!

• JudyH

Hi Rhonda, I agree with you - this is a great project! Super idea for small spaces or even for extra seating for Holiday/Party meals. I am thinking of using this idea to create a let-down table in a toddler's room! I'm thinking A-B-C canvases hung vertically with the lowest (C) creating a toddler play table. Maybe using a small stool or child size ladderback chair... Kudos to Kyle for posting this fun and functional project!

• Alanna

This is a great idea. I would love to see this in my cottage for extra space at mealtime.

• Slc19804375

I love this idea! I'm saving it for my husband to add to his to do list!

• Jpsiskos

Love it. Love it. Great job.

• Birdy Daniel

This mimics the pull-down baby changing stations we see in public restrooms but I fear it would not be strong enough to support a real baby. Safety first. Use only tested and approved devices for your child.

• Armando Lao

For a 36 inch high table you would just need to get counter stools, not bar stools. Also, 30 and 42 inch canvases are pretty standard so it shouldnt be a problem but definitely something that needs to be taken into account.

As for the canvas stability, it depends on how the frame is built. The ones I use are 3/4 thick by 2 which should be pretty sturdy. I think where you'll run into more stability problems is if it's not mounted with the tabletop perpendicular to the canvas.

• Debbie

i work with framed canvas. It would barely be strong enough to support the plywood top let alone any items places on to of it. Do you have any suggestions for making the canvas frame more stable and supporting?

• Raine

I think somebody mention to make the table top out of plywood for sturdiest, hope that helps you.

• Apt2B

Yes, you will need to reinforce the canvas with plywood as shown in the video! Good luck!

• Beverly Carter Hadley

It doesn’t say anything about reinforcing the print but that is definitely what you would need to do.

• Karen

Apt2B - seems like the plywood is used for the table top. What strengthens the canvas while it’s being used as a leg?

• Wanda Fleeman

This is exactly what I want for my sewing table ! Only it would have to have very sturdy leg/legs. Maybe folding table type brackets. Can you do that? I would like to see how it works out.

• Josh Turnage

I bought an green army wooden chest and later saw similar material they used to convert into desk/portable workstation with drawers. How could I make this work so that in transit between gigs it functions as a chest storing my chords petals Cds ets .... Smaller gear. Supplies picks strings and soilder iron parts repair. Finally CD AND MERCH SALES TABLE. & REPEAT?!? I'm stuck in the middle( no pun) with a shakey nuttin??

, Top of chest is against standing ch est One leg and pull out com apartment holds up top now I m stuck
  • N. G. Londonderry

Isn’t the canvas artwork in danger of having having someone’s foot hitting and damaging it while the artwork is in position as a table support on the floor?

• Paul Dempsey

Anything you put at floor level is susceptible to damage from feet, pets, etc. I might consider putting a thin piece of lauan to back the canvas and add stability to the frame.

• Apt2B

Yes that could be a concern but we would like to think your guests are aware if it and naturally take the shoes off at the door ;)

• Jill Ron Pike

Or use something different that holds up to scuffs, if your visitors are too rowdy to respect your space.

• Susie

Well the common sense thing here is put a piece of cardboard or piece of wood on the back of the artwork like he showed you so that you don't have it get bumped or bang and you don't keep it down all the time. get yourself put yourself an expensive piece of artwork something that you can put on the wall that doesn't require a whole lot of money is common sense.

• N. G. Londonderry

Thank you all. As I read the directions I understood that the plywood was for the table top...not a backing for the artwork.

• Lori Johnson

An old apartment I used to live in, had a similar type of fold down, fold up, table. That one was just a typical plain white plywood with drop down legs. It was a tiny kitchen, so came in handy. I ended up just leaving it down since it was the only table that would fit in there. Yours looks really nice with the art canvas. How often do you fold it back up on the wall since it looks like you use it as a desk? A good way to cover recessed, messy bookcases too when they're not in use. Just use bigger prints I suppose and have them on both sides of the plywood. They'll be seen whether up or down. Just an idea.

• Apt2B

We tend to keep it down mostly but that’s a great idea using bigger prints to show off the artwork more and still have optimal use of the table!

• Maude LaFountain

That is really neat ....I love it

• Jill Ron Pike

I was thinking along Lori's lines....cut an area just a smidge smaller than the print on the wall section. Build in recessed shelving, being careful, of course, not to cut in to anything behind the wall surface. Nice place for craft supplies, desk items, whatever, and out of sight when not in use.

• Wanda Barnes

Love this idea! Great work.....❤

• Susie

Yes those tables with the two legs I have seen also but at least this way when it falls up it has artwork on the wall not two legs hanging up. this is how I used to Iron II they had a ironing board stuck in the door you open the door and ironing board falls out you put the leg down to hold the ironing board up and then you iron and when you're done you put the leg back up and push it back into the little closet door and close it. That's an old fashioned thing from many years ago

• Lori Johnson

Yep. I've had that too in an apartment. They work, but not too great to look at. :)

• Glendora Woodard

Great Idea!!!

• Elaine Duddy

What size is the framed picture?

• Susie

To me it looks to be at least 3 feet across which is the cross with of the table and maybe six feet down or 5 feet which will be the length of the table. whatever kind of picture you put there I would put a bigger stronger piece of boarding on the back of the picture so that it will hold up the table and any kind of weight you put on the table plates dishes food.

• Apt2B

The canvas itself is 26x40 but the actual frame is 28x42

• Julia Brandano

I live in a senior holding. How can I put it up with out. Damaging the walls . I love this idea . I even asked if they could do that for all the apartments when they had all apartments redone.. They said no😞. So is there a way to do this with out Damaging the damaging the wall????

• Jean Britt

Any place you would drill and place the screws could easily be fixed if you needed to ever remove it, or if you ever move. You just take everything down. Then put some wall spackle into the holes. It dries white. Then sand and touch up with paint. All fixed.

• Lee

You can always patch up small holes when you move.

• Coralee

Command strips have gotten pretty good these days. I would probably use more than one to distribute the weight, but I bet you could use some hooks instead of the hinges on the wall, and a couple of hooks up top to hold the frame up and you’d be all set!

• MM

Command strips dont hold very well if the wall paint is glossy or textured. I'd hate to have it all come crashing down if they didnt hold.

• Melanie

Put it into a stud & patch it up when you leave.

• Apt2B

The only safe way to do this would be to attach it to the wall. Command strips wouldn't be secure enough. You can patch the holes later on. Best of luck!

• Martha

What is a Senior holding. I live in Senior Apartments. I was just curious.

• Shelli

Excellent ! Thanks so much!

• Susie Zitzler

Great idea how heavy of a piece of wood can you put up on the wall without it yanking the wall. Have to have it at there is a beam wood in the wall to secure to.what needs to be really strong and heavy so how thick wood can you put up thereso the table will be strong too and also the picture frame part of the table strong enough. Have to warn people do not "lean on the table".

• Delires

So creative

• Pamela Foster

I would like to take it a step farther and make fold-out support legs mid length and end length for a longer ART work table. I would back the picture with plywood and top both sections with glass or suitable glass replacement.