The Exorcism of My Amityville Horror Fireplace

$300

Back again...so as discussed in my previous posts, I purchased an older home that needed a facelift in some areas.
Still have very limited tools and funds...ugh. TBH, due to the local weather I never use the fireplace so it's even more annoying to have something that is so outdated.

Here is my temporary solution to one of the items that needed an update. The bar room had a large fireplace with weird vents, an outlet in between the vents, and overspray when the previous owners painted the room.
I tried all kinds of things to make it look better...removing the overspray was time consuming and didn't work well...whitewashing didn't look great and I still had vents and an outlet staring at me...demo'ing was messy and also time consuming.
So I decided to cover it up. I covered the hearth with thin layers of concrete...see my previous projects for instructions on concrete overlays.
Starting with some plywood, two 2x4 studs, and hardcore masonry screws. I plugged in an extension cord, and left a large opening in the plywood. I forgot to take a pic of the large opening...but anyways!
Next, I applied shiplap to the plywood. Home Depot has a case of boards for only $25. They are in a white tone so I added some minwax gray stain.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-4-in-x-4-ft-White-Wash-Weathered-Hardwood-Board-8-Piece-27839/301827976

What was up with the extension cord...ohhh yeah I picked up this electric fireplace that I was able to mount directly on to the shiplap and plywood.
I did build the floating mantle...but I'm not happy with the size. I am in the process of building another one and will post an updated photo when I'm finished. I have learned that miter cuts are not something that I excel at....so the longer I went the shorter the mantle got.

Hope this inspires you to get dirty...take a risk...and find a solution!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Not bad for $147!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stainless-Steel-Electric-Fireplace-With-Wall-Mount-and-Remote-36-Inch-By-Northwest/249344739