Glitter Bathroom Counter

$250
1 Day

I was inspired by the glitter grout I found for the floor tile and decided to create my own glitter counter top with glitter and acrylic epoxy.
The first step was to assemble the base cabinet and measure for the top. I chose marine-grade plywood for the base of the counter. It is a bit more expensive, but this is a bathroom counter. I also selected PVC trim for the backsplash and edge trim.  I centered the sink template on the plywood and taped it in place. If I were to do it again, I might have used a repositionable adhesive spray instead. I drilled holes at the quarter points just inside the circle and used them to insert the jigsaw while I cut the circle. 
The trim was glued and nailed to the edges of the plywood. I set the sink in place so that I could set the top of the edge trim at the same height as the sink. The plywood was sealed with a coat of primer.
Set the sink in place and seal with a sink sealant.
I mixed the two-part acrylic epoxy according to the package directions then stirred in black and silver craft glitter at about 2 parts silver. I didn't measure the glitter, but I made sure that the glitter was fairly densely distributed in the epoxy. with the countertop level, I poured the first layer of epoxy approximately 1/4" thick. The picture above is a close up of the first layer and as you can see, the heavy hand with the glitter left the surface rough. I also wanted to give it some depth as well, so I mixed the second layer with less than half the amount of glitter as the first layer and poured that about 1/8" thick. Finally, I poured another 1/8" thick layer of the epoxy with no glitter for a nice smooth surface. The top of the acrylic came up to the top of the edge trim and the top of the sink.

The finished top came out even better than I had pictured it. It has sparkle and depth and it is easy to keep clean.

Once it was installed against the white subway tile, it really stands out. The best part is that it is so pretty that I won't let it get cluttered. It is a very modern touch to an otherwise classic bathroom

• Marine Grade Plywood  (Home Depot)
  • Craft Glitter  (Amazon)
  • Clear Epoxy Resin - Gallon  (Amazon)

Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer

To see more: https://chasecottage.blogspot.com/2018/04/glitter-countertop-tutorial.html

• M.toll1945
    M.toll1945

Very nice! I think it would also look nice with the trim painted a glossy black!

• Johanne Palange
    Johanne Palange

I love this. I'd have glitter on everything if it were reasonable, or if I had my own house. However, I have one comment about the trim. Something is bothering me about it being only on the back and one side. It looks unbalanced, or sort of like a beautiful winter coat missing a few buttons. I would have removed them to keep the focus on the awesome glitter.