Asked on Apr 7, 2018

Can vinegar be used instead of downy for laundry softener

2dogalSunshineJoy30150932
+6

I realLynn dislike the mess that downy fabric softener makes in washing machine.

• Lynn
    Lynn

I use it mainly to take the stink out of my sons sport clothes, but have heard can work as a softener as well
  • Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

The vinegar will cut the soap and not necessarily soften and remove the static from clothing. You will notice this more during the winter when the humidity is lower and you go around "zapping" with increased static electricity.
  • Susan Thompson
    Susan Thompson

You can add it into your rinse cycle, or I just typically wet a rag with it and throw it in the dryer. Cuts static cling as well.
  • Theresa Smith
    Theresa Smith

If you have a costco card, pick up some of their kirkland dryer sheets. I've been using them for years. They don't overload the clothes with anti-static, yet still make a nice, static free finish.
  • Sande Summers
    Sande Summers

I put a tablespoon of baking soda in my washer, it's a great fabric softener and odorizer
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

I use in in the softener drawer all the time. I do notice that the scent from the soap does not stay in the clothes, but I no longer get the white stuff on dark sweat pants and jeans anymore since it cuts the soap suds when the softener would get put in.
  • Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

You can use vinegar to cut the soap and it does soften. Just be careful on how much you use as it is an acid. A little goes a long way.
  • Sunshine
    Sunshine

Come out fresh and clean.ComeYes, I use vinegar all the time in the wash and as fabric softener. The clothes
  • 2dogal
    2dogal

Yes - it actually works better as it removes soap build up and does not leave a fabric softener build up on your clothes and towels. When you use a fabric softener, the build up, especially on towels, will make everything less absorbent.