Can I use peel and stick wallpaper on textured walls?

+10
The walls have swirly texture.

• Suzette Suzette on Apr 07, 2018

Good luck!
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 07, 2018
    Not unless you have boards you are going to screw to it. Might be better to paint it another neutral Colour and Put up some strong coloured Pictures and Artifacts instead. Or have them professionally sanded off.......(Could be health hazard , so don't do it yourself....
  • Sharon Sharon on Apr 07, 2018
    Not unless you skim coat them with joint compound smooth.
    • See 1 previous
    • Sharon Sharon on Mar 24, 2019

Best to prime first since someday you may want to remove the paper, and if the walls aren't primed, it can rip the paper right off the drywall.

• My mom put covered the walls in a very thin type of paneling or something beforehand. You could skim coat, as Sharon suggested. That would probably be cheaper, but at the time we were looking for faster, not cheaper

• Emily Patton Emily Patton on Mar 02, 2019

can the wallpaper go directly over the joint compound or would i need to re-paint first?

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Apr 08, 2018
    It will not stick - I know this for sure.
  • Barb Adams Barb Adams on Apr 09, 2018
    No, the paper would probably not stick and if it did the texture would show through. You will have to skim coat it or choose another wall treatment.
  • Foxtrot Bison Foxtrot Bison on Mar 31, 2020

I have used peel and stick wallpaper several times on my textured walls. It sticks without a problem, but you can see the texture through the paper if it is very light in color. I have used Target paper and it's very thin. I used some from Lowes that was darker and thicker and you really couldn't see the texture. Just do a test strip before you buy a huge amount.