Pottery Barn Inspired Coastal Bedroom Sitting Nook

324 Views
This week our challenge at Hometalk was a Pottery Barn inspired DIY project. I wanted to makeover a corner of my master bedroom in a sea cottage style. Pottery Barn’s coastal decor reminds me of my favorite spot in the US, Block Island. This year they have Lily Pulitzer golden sea creatures, mirrored nightstands, Mongolian faux fur footstools, shell decor and hourglasses. I’d love to have it all! But my budget is $25, which would buy me about half of a golden sea turtle 😂. So I scoured my house for treasures, hit the Dollar Tree and a few thrift stores in town. I was inspired!
Time: 3 HoursCost: $22Difficulty: Easy
  • pottery barn inspired coastal bedroom sitting nook
Here is the corner before I went shopping.
I’m a bargain hunter. So I found the La-Z-Boy chair at the Salvation Army for $9.99, the ocean paintings for $5 at a thrift store and the mirrored dresser on clearance at TJMaxx for $20. These were items I have had for a few years.
It sounds funny, but the first thing I wanted to find today was a sea creature to spray gold, so that’s where I started. I found a plastic seal and dolphin at the Dollar Tree. They also had jute, shells and a succulent. Next I went to the Sally (Salvation Army) and found a Yankee Candle shell covered shade. It was .99 cents half off, so I got it for .55 cents with tax!
At home the first thing I did was spray paint the sea creatures! They took 5 coats.
Then I wrapped a Yankee Candle (I had in my cupboard) with jute and halfway up the mini succulent attaching it with hot glue.
Next I hunted the house for a wooden base to spray gold and attach a faux fur pillow to, for a footstool. My throw pillows come from this crazy outlet that sells them for .09 cents, NINE CENTS! As with every fabric purchase from any store, I put them in the dryer for 45 minutes to kill any possible unsavory little thing. I just happened to have two faux fur pillows. One the perfect size for a footstool!
My big purchase today was a Pier1 Jamaican Collection nightstand for $14.99 at Goodwill. The drawers roll out like butter! I hung a mirrored “Love“ sign, placed a glass bowl on the stand, centered the candle, then laid the shells around it and added a necklace, lamp and seal to complete it.
After that I moved to the other side and placed an hourglass, tealight, bud vase, the mini succulent and dolphin on the mirrored nightstand.
And there it is, my Pottery Barn inspired Coastal makeover. Time to read!

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of April 17, 2018 11:18 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Ask the creator about this project