Fast Frame Redo in Red

218 Views
Every Thrifting, Garage Sale, or Flea Market blog or list of tips for them says to buy picture frames any time they're available. But they don't tell you what to do with them! I found the cutest Cafe' Latte picture at a garage sale for 50 cents, but it didn't have a frame! However, I have a large collection of frames.
Time: 2 HoursCost: $4Difficulty: Easy
  • fast frame redo in red
After digging through my stash of picture frames, I found one that fit perfectly but did nothing to enhance the picture. It was an oak picture frame with non-glare glass from the 1980's. I decided to strip that frame and then paint it in a coordinating color.
  • fast frame redo in red
First, I laid out plastic bags to cover my workspace. Then I used another grocery bag to coat the frame in Citristrip. ***Note*** If you do this using grocery bags, be sure to turn them inside out or use the blank sides, as the ink will run!
  • fast frame redo in red
Once the whole frame was generously coated, I wrapped it in plastic bags and let it sit for over an hour. This kept the Citristrip from drying out and let it penetrate the finish on the frame.
  • fast frame redo in red
Then, using some stiff brushes, I brushed off the powdery substance left from using the stripper.
  • fast frame redo in red
Next, I wiped the frame clean with paper towels. I let it sit until I had time to paint it the next day. This allowed the frame time to dry thoroughly.
  • fast frame redo in red
Then, I gathered my materials to paint the frame. I had a sample of Chipotle Paste by Behr, and decided it would complement the color of the picture perfectly. I decided to do a wash, rather than paint full coverage of the frame. This allowed the wood grain to show through. In addition, I could always paint over the wash if I didn't like the way it turned out.
  • fast frame redo in red
I don't have an exact mix for the wash, but basically I used a 1:1 ratio of paint and water. I put paint in one dip in the palette, then water in another one. I then dipped the brush in paint on one side, and water on the other. I applied the water side to the frame first, then went back over it with the paint side. I kept a wet edge, and kept alternating paint and water until I was satisfied with the result. Since I was painting raw wood, it didn't take long for the frame to dry. I let it sit about 20 minutes, but it probably didn't even need that long.
  • fast frame redo in red
Once the frame was dry, I put the glass, picture and mat in the frame.
Then, all I had to do was hang it on the wall and admire my work.
Close up of the framed picture. The red brings out the color in the picture.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of April 16, 2018 10:16 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Ask the creator about this project