Yvette Gray
Yvette Gray
  • San Diego, CA

A Whimsical Foxy Woodland Side Table

My love of nature, animals and springtime was my inspiration for this side table makeover. I wanted to create a fun and whimsical piece so I decided to do a woodland animals theme featuring an adorable fox, rabbits and squirrels using graphics from The Graphics Fairy. The chose a nature inspired color pallette of greens, browns, coppery bronze and a buttery yellow. I love how this piece turned out and it was a fun project to create.
Rabbits and squirrels jump around the borders of the front of the table. I love the trim on this piece which acts as a frame around the adorable Fox.
A Foxy Little Table
A Foxy Little Table
Squirrels, a rabbit and a raccoon jump around the borders of the front of the table. I love the trim on this piece which acts as a frame around the adorable Fox.
Before:  Front View
Before: Front View
I loved the look of this table before but I wasn't a fan of the lighter finish and this table just lacked a warm personality in my opinion.
Before:  Top View
Before: Top View
The top had several scratches and dings around the edges. I did sand this down lightly but didn't want it perfectly smooth as I wanted a weathered feel and the scratches added some character once I added the harlequin pattern.
Before:  Side View
Before: Side View
The table was in great shape structurally but did have some scratches, dents and dings here and there.
Distressed Harlequin Top
Distressed Harlequin Top
To break up the boring plain top to this table, I painted a harlequin pattern in brown and ivory and distressed it to give it a weathered feel.
Crackled "bark" sides
Crackled "bark" sides
I created a crackled effect on the side to mimmick the bark of a tree but went with a warm buttery yellow color. This look can be achieved using a crackle medium or Elmer's Glue. I used the Elmer's Glue method for this project.
Closeup view
Closeup view
The graphics were decoupaged onto the table. A metallic bronze acrylic paint was used around the edges of the table and the table was lightly distressed using sandpaper. Two coats of wax was then applied to seal and protect the piece.