Anne Thompson
Anne Thompson
  • Ft Mitchell, KY

DIY "Life Preserver" Wreath ~ Easy Nautical Summer Decor!

is quickly closing in. It’s time to summer-ize your front door!
Seaside decor just screams summer to me, so I decided to make a wreath with a nod to the nautical!
If you say you are an “uncreative” person (which I don’t really think exist, I think people are just too busy to tap into their creativity) THIS is the project for you. No creativity required! Just buy the materials, and follow the directions. Here’s how I made my “life preserver” wreath.
To make this wreath, you’ll need a few simple crafting items: All mine cost under $20 total.
Foam wreath form (mine is about 16″) $7 at Walmart
Basic letter stencils $3 at Walmart
Acrylic Paint $2 (if your door will be very exposed to the elements, use an appropriate paint)
Paint applicator (sponge or brush. I used a sponge brush I had)
White opaque Duck Tape $3 at Walmart
Rope or cord of your choice. I used red paracord $2 at Walmart
Starting on the back of the wreath form, wrap the white Duck Tape around your wreath. Keep overlapping the tape, keeping it as smooth as possible on the front, until the whole form is covered. The tape is very sticky, and I had no problems getting it to adhere to the foam.
Using the letter stencils, paint the wording of your choice on the “preserver”
Make sure to let the paint on one letter dry before moving on to the next letter. It is not easy to get smeared paint off the Duck Tape.
Trick for getting the letters centered: write out the letters who want to use on a piece of paper. Count them, finding the center letter. Start from the center and work your way out on either side. Don’t forget to count spaces the same as letters.
Wrap 4 lengths of your cord or rope around the preserver in four spots to give it a good, nautical look. Add one more long piece on top for hanging (as you would a ribbon to hang a mirror, for example.) Use pieces of Duck Tape to secure them all in the back.
You can find lots more creative ideas as well as furniture transformations on my blog, annethompsondesigns.com!
Disclaimer: This is NOT an actual floatation device! :-)

Anne Thompson