How to Make a DIY Folding Screen

$85
1 Day

I (Vicki) decided to make a folding screen after I observed my yoga ball and mat are always in plain sight when not in use. I thought with a screen, I could place these in a corner with the screen in front and not have to look at them during the week! Bonus, I found a piece of mid-century looking vinyl for the screen that has jumpstarted the redecorating of my bedroom.
Watch the how-to video!

Want to see our latest projects? Sign-up for our weekly newsletter  here!
We used oak boards and hinges from The Home Depot. I found the vinyl fabric at a yard sale put on by a designer. I didn't think I'd find anything there, but I ended up getting my perfect living room rug, two lamps, and a $5.00 roll of vinyl! It was a good yard sale day!
The frames are made from 1x2's (6 at 6' each for the sides) and 9 pieces of 1x3's cut to 12 7/8" which are the horizontal pieces. We marked all the horizontal pieces and cut them on the miter saw.
Using the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig, we made pocket holes in each of the 9 horizontal pieces. Each piece got four holes.
We squared everything up and secured the boards with pocket hole screws. Those long clamps helped to keep everything square while we put in the screws.
I cut out the corners so the wood corners would show. The arrow is so I was able to keep the vinyl all going in the same direction on all three pieces.
The upholstery stapler goes on a standard compressor hose. The DeWalt filled quickly and refilled in about 30 seconds. Hearing and eye protection is a must!
We added hinges to connect the screen panels. Two panels are placed back to back for hinge placement and the other two are placed front to front for the second set of hinge placement.
The screen does a good job of hiding ugly exercise equipment!
I love the way this turned out and want to make more! The most challenging part of this project was figuring out how to position the hinges so the screen would fold correctly. Thankfully Steph has a screen at her house and we were able to use that one as a visual aid in helping with the hinge situation. Getting the placement of the hinges and screwing them in is definitely a two-person operation. Draft a buddy to help with this.

Mother Daughter Projects

• Cindy

If you don’t have a pocket hole jig, which I will guess most folks don’t, what do you suggest to be the best way to secure such light frames as to not split the wood, yet secure them firmly enough to stand up to repeated use? I would love to make or if these this weekend. Also, any suggestions as to the type and grade of wood that you would use.

Thanks,

Cindy

• Dale

I use to use a small countersink bit to put frames together,before I got the jig. I'd fill the hole with a wood plug. It added to the design.

• Pwa14748285

How much did this project cost?

• Sandra Allen

These ladies are pretty famous in our Hometalk community. And not every one has to 'have or not have' their equipment, skills, or desire to share what they make.

And DIY is exactly that. They made it rather than bought it.

• Deborah Luchak Nester

How can I make this waterproof for outside patio ?

• Lynne

nice job, and it would be nice to see this made with just regular tools

• Roberta Lawhorn

I love it. Have to make this and thank you for the inspiration 😊