Install Stair Runners Using Runner Rugs

$100

Have you ever looked at runner options at your local hardware store? It's a real snooze-fest over there. Guess what? You can use regular runners for your stairs!

Our stairs took 3 runners, but you will want to measure yours for accuracy.

Please note: I bought my runners on sale and didn't open them for months. When I went to install them, I realized that I had 2 different patterns in the same color. The accident turned out to be a happy one and I love the quirkiness of it now.
install stair runners using runner rugs
Lay out your first runner to figure out the spacing. You want it pretty evenly spaced on the sides.
install stair runners using runner rugs
Use a staple gun to attach the rug right under the landing. Be generous with your staples. We love a pneumatic gun because it's much easier to use.
install stair runners using runner rugs
Staple in the edge of the stairs as well, keeping the spacing even on each step.
install stair runners using runner rugs
Keep going, stapling under the stairs and in the corners until you get to the end of a runner. Cut it under a stair tread, leaving about 1" to overlap with the next rug.
install stair runners using runner rugs
Attach the next runner, overlapping the edge you just cut.

Keep going until the end.
install stair runners using runner rugs
When you get to the end, cut the rug and staple it into the step. Then cover the edge with a piece of quarter round painted to blend with your floor or stairs.
install stair runners using runner rugs
Enjoy your new runner! Totally not boring.

For more details on this project, including how we stripped the carpet off, stained the stairs, added a new custom railing, copper hand rails or where we got that fabulous wallpaper, c lick here to check out my blog. All the details and more can be found there.
Emy Flint | Semigloss Design

• Linda

Love your project! I didnt see padding mentioned. Did you leave the padding from previous carpet? Thanks

• I didn't pad them. The runners themselves were semi-padded with a rubber backing, so they were already pretty thick. I've never missed the padding of the carpet. I've seen other people use it and they just cut it for the treads of the stairs.

• Nancy

A bit off topic, but where did you get your wallpaper that we see at the top of the stairs?

• Nancy

• Flipturn

In your materials you show a picture of a standard staple gun. This style will not be able to attach staples to sufficiently anchor the runner. It would have been more helpful and realistic to show a picture of what a pneumatic staple gun, as this is what you actually used to complete the project.

• Flipturn

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know that it was Hometalk who 'adds the materials information' after the individual posts their project.

• Birdy Daniel

Just wondering why you used mismatched runners?

• I ordered 3 of the same runners and when I finally opened them months later, they were different. Neither pattern was in stock any longer, so we just went with it. Now, the quirkiness makes me smile. It's not perfect and neither am I.  Surprisingly, it doesn't even bother my husband who loves EVERYTHING to match perfectly.