Install Stair Runners Using Runner Rugs

24K Views
Have you ever looked at runner options at your local hardware store? It's a real snooze-fest over there. Guess what? You can use regular runners for your stairs!

Our stairs took 3 runners, but you will want to measure yours for accuracy.

Please note: I bought my runners on sale and didn't open them for months. When I went to install them, I realized that I had 2 different patterns in the same color. The accident turned out to be a happy one and I love the quirkiness of it now.
Time: 3 HoursCost: $100Difficulty: Medium
  • install stair runners using runner rugs
Lay out your first runner to figure out the spacing. You want it pretty evenly spaced on the sides.
Use a staple gun to attach the rug right under the landing. Be generous with your staples. We love a pneumatic gun because it's much easier to use.
Staple in the edge of the stairs as well, keeping the spacing even on each step.
Keep going, stapling under the stairs and in the corners until you get to the end of a runner. Cut it under a stair tread, leaving about 1" to overlap with the next rug.
Attach the next runner, overlapping the edge you just cut.

Keep going until the end.
When you get to the end, cut the rug and staple it into the step. Then cover the edge with a piece of quarter round painted to blend with your floor or stairs.
Enjoy your new runner! Totally not boring.

For more details on this project, including how we stripped the carpet off, stained the stairs, added a new custom railing, copper hand rails or where we got that fabulous wallpaper, c lick here to check out my blog. All the details and more can be found there.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of April 18, 2018 10:13 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

To see more: https://www.semiglossdesign.com/install-stair-runners