Can you mix acrylic paint with chalk paint to change the colour.

+18
I mean if you stir them together in the same tin.

• John gill John gill on Apr 24, 2018
      Hello Janet, I am interested in your comment but your site won't load down into my laptop; just the first few words and a blue circle telling me to wait but as long as I wait it won't come in. Would be interesting if I could see it though.

• Carol Thomas Carol Thomas on Apr 09, 2018
    That is according to what the chalk paint was made with to begin with. If you use Plaster of Paris or Non-Sanded Grout, when you mix paint with primers and acrylic in into these ingredients, they can harden making the paint unusable. Calcium Carbonate Powder will not, so use it when making chalk paint with acrylic craft paint. Good luck!
  • Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Apr 09, 2018
    Why don't you take the chalk paint to the paint department and ask them to add color? You risk ruining the "chalk" part of the paint by mixing with another type.
    • See 1 previous
    • Haydee Bellomo Haydee Bellomo on Jun 04, 2020

I live in Australia. I went to Bunnings (similar to Home Depot) but they only carry Dulux and Rustoleum. Those brands don't have many colours. I settled for one of the rustoleum. They told me that they can't make colours that belong to another brand, i.e. Taubmans, British Paint, etc. The tint they have can't be mixed with the chalk paint.

• you could try it. I have done in very small amounts - added white acrylic. Depends on what you are painting, just my opinion.
    • See 1 previous
    • have fun, can't hurt to experiment once in a while. That is how you make things special and unique.
  • Zoe Emiko Zoe Emiko on Apr 09, 2018
    That was a really great question! I didn't know the answer so I decided to test it. I use Annie Sloan and FolkArt Home chalk paints for my projects. I tested it a little of both. The answer is.. it depends on how intense you want the color tint to be. When I used just enough to give the chalk paint a light color, it worked. When I added more, enough to make the color medium to moderately intense, it didn't work. The acrylic paint changed the properties of the chalk paint to much and it ended up really not in a good way funky looking when the paint dried.
    • See 1 previous
    • John gill John gill on Apr 10, 2018
      Sorry about 2 pics the same, thank you all for your expert opinions.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 24, 2018
    it works i checked it
  • Bella Nouveau Furniture Bella Nouveau Furniture on Apr 24, 2018
    Ive done it many times and it works fine.
  • Di'aboliqualle Di'aboliqualle on Aug 03, 2020

If I buy a sample of a super strong colour of regular paint, then use calcium carbonate to make it it into chalk paint, surely then I can use it as a mixer in white or cream chalk paint (or another base) to make custom colours?

• Kelly Denoyer Russell Kelly Denoyer Russell on Oct 05, 2020

Certainly! Go for it.