Asked on Apr 9, 2018

My house has so much dust - help!

Chas' Crazy CreationsBetsyJulie  McCuiston
+4

I had all our vents cleaned. Have replaced new air filters for the past 2 months since getting entire house cleaned and cents and windows etc.

Dust is back within 2 days. So frustrating. Any suggestions?

• Sharon
    Sharon

I have a client's large house thats like that, after using electrostatic cloths to dust and having him get a vacuum with a HEPA filter its improved greatly. I also use Swiffer disposable dusters from the Dollar Tree, and the electro static cloths in the yellow package. I also vacuum my furniture regularly. Wash drapes at least 2x year. Make sure windows have a good seal.
    I have negative ion generators in my house as I'm allergic to dust. I use the Ionic Breeze ones that have a 4 blade rod that you remove and wipe off with a wet wipe. You wouldn't believe the gunk that comes off them. They remove allergens, dust, dander.
  • You have lots of options! I live in a hot dry dusty climate and insist on Windows and doors being open if at all possible, plus I have a pile of pets, so dusting for me is a way of life. I am a big fan of wet dusting for surfaces that can take it. Here are a few sites that have some fantastic tips! See how many of them you can use to make your life easier!

• Kimberly Montgomery
    Kimberly Montgomery

I hate to say it, but even with getting vents cleaned, you will have dust. Wind makes it worse. If you open your doors and windows to help with cooling down your home you will get lots of dust. Shoot, just opening the door to go in and out makes it worse. If you have pets, that doesn't help the situation either. For the pets, wiping them down with a damp towel several times a day will help. While doilies and coverlets for furniture are, to many, tacky, that is how I keep from having to dust. I shake them out about every 10 days and completely change them out monthly. If you have carpet free floors, sweeping them daily will also help. There is no way to be 100% dust free 100% of the time.
  • Julie  McCuiston
    Julie McCuiston

I live in the desert so I use Staticide on all my hard surfaces. They use it in military installations to prevent static electricity. It helps but we still have alot of dust :(
    Betsy

Geeze Louise, that's rough. Are your windows open? What you may want to try is to get a cheap furnace filter, take the insides out and cut it to fit your register covers on the inside. You may be able to use string to attach it to the little levers that open and close the vents. This will let the air through, but catch the dust. Some areas are just dustier than others. Are you on a dirt road? No grass? Boy, I hope you can get this fixed!
  • Chas' Crazy Creations
    Chas' Crazy Creations

Here is an article that might help - Reduce dust