Vintage Glass Pane Door Headboard

$150

I'll admit it. My guest room is my favorite room in the house. It is beach themed and so inviting and while I have never slept in there, I am always looking for unique ways to add to the decor. So when I picked up a vintage glass panel door (like this one) from an antique fair, a wave of inspiration came over me. See what I did there? Beach. Wave. 😂

First I had to sand down the painted parts a bit. Luckily, in the end I wanted it weathered looking so that meant I didn't have to spend too much time with the sander. I just needed to get the chips and any slivers taken care of.

Then it was off to Home Depot to pick up one each of the following:
1x4x8 (cut in half)
2x4x8 (cut in half)
1x6x8 tongue & groove plank.

Then I sandwiched the door between boards on either side, with the 1x4s in the front and 2x4s in the back and secured them with 4" wood screws (make sure to drill your pilot holes first). This created "legs" and then I attached the tongue & groove plank to the top for a shelf.

Next came the painting. I applied a light coat of watered down antique white latex paint over the whole thing (covering the window panes with paper and tape to aid in clean up) and then once dried, I applied a little magic that I learned restoring furniture.
In this jar is a solution of white vinegar and steel wool that has been curing in my cabinet for years. When a small amount is applied to plain wood or even lightly painted wood, the most amazing, natural looking weathering happens right before your eyes.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Check out this 10 minute time-lapsed example.

Update: If you dont have this magic potion already on hand just grab a jar and put a wad of genuine steel wool (not SOS pads) and top it off with distilled white vinegar and let it do its chemical magic for 2-3 days. The longer it sits the darker it will get.
This is what it looks like over the white washing. See how the bits of exposed wood soaked up the solution and darkened?

The pis de resistance came when I attached the custom sized beach poster from www.murals.com to the back. I could not believe my eyes how beautiful this was.  But before that... safety first.
I recruited the hubs in bolting the two sides to studs in the wall because this bad boy is hea-vy but boy-oh-boy he is worth it.

Update: I would not suggest attaching this to a standard bed frame for fear of it falling over and making for a really bad visit for both you and your guests.

Here is the finished product!

The only thing left to do was to grab a cup of tea and my book and finally spend the night in the beach guest room. Which I did, all by myself and let me tell you, it was wonderful.

• 16999903

Michelle....I have a question in general for you on the "DIYer's" perspective. I happen to love this project, and I do quite a few myself, I just don't post them. i have a few stacking up...maybe this is the time to post them!

Anyway...my question....I understand that not everyone can like every project here.....but there are some people that voice their opinion why it's not for them. Does that bother you? I did that one time in a way that I thought was tactful, and got bashed telling me not to post (by others...not the project owner). In college I majored in interior design, and we spent two weeks in one class on "constructive criticism". The first few times sting a little but we had to grow a thicker skin to deal with our clients.

I personally would like to encourage pros and cons on any of my projects to improve techniques and such. That's why I like the forum. Some ideas are just not for me, because of the type of house I live in....or size of my yard etc, and I pass them over completely.

I've seen a few others that have possibly been too harsh, but hey...who knows what's going on in other people's worlds? We have to brave for putting it out there!

Congrats on this project.....it's really outstanding! Take care!

• 16999903

Exactly my thoughts. It’s good to expect positive critiques. I’m in the middle of down sizing which means not much extra time for a project. Is does feel good getting rid of clutter to start with a clean and mostly organized canvas! Plus, the weather seems to be cooling so I can work outside! Yay for Fall, my favorite time of year.

• Per33817111

Did u remove the glass?

• Michelle Kirstein

I did not remove the glass. It is in there really solid so I just taped it up while finishing. Also it is super strong glass so I an not concerned with it breaking.

• Kimberly Kifus

The finished product shows two rows of Windows in the door but the before picture shows three rows. Did you take out panes and cut third row out? Btw, love it!

• Michelle Kirstein

Hi Kimberly, the before pic is actually not the same door. I forgot to get a pic of the door before I started so that's why I said the the door "was like" the one pictured. I did not modify the door other than paint and aging.

• Tommy Dwyer

This was the exact reason I been on the look out for a panel door , and finally found one. This looks amazing ! I have one broken glass panel that I was going to replace with plexiglass ,and never thought about swapting out the glass, but think I might just do that for safety insure ( thin glass) after reading this . My one question , did you find a picture that big or did u print one out?

• Mickey Baron

VERY impressive, I missed the Step where you put the MURAL on. Was it easily found at Hobby Lobby or JoAnnes? And is it easy to apply if following the step by step instructions?

• Michelle Kirstein

Hi Mickey. I got the mural at murals.com and literally just tacked it on the back of the door. Easy peasy and you can remove it to change the mural if you are so inclined. Thanks for checking out my project.