Asked on Apr 9, 2018

What do I do to get my Christmas cactus to bloom?

Chubby58MogieCindy Hagemann
+7

It's growing bigger and fuller but hasn't bloomed again. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?

• Pat Russell
    Pat Russell

I had the best luck with min when I put it outside when the weather got warm and it started blooming in October! Now I bring it inside during the winter and put it back out as we start hitting 75 degrees on a regular basis. That is mid to late April in North Texas and it loves the summer here. It is put in a somrwhat sheltered area, but gets sun.
  • Cindy Hagemann
    Cindy Hagemann

Mine likes a little bit of cold weather to make it bloom and lots of sun.
  • Mogie
    Mogie

When you want to force a Christmas cactus to bloom, you need to begin by limiting the amount of water the plant receives. This generally takes place sometime during fall, usually around October or the first part of November. Cut down on watering just enough to allow the soil to remain slightly moist. Water only when the topmost (about 1 inch) layer of soil is dry to the touch. This will enable the plant to enter dormancy. Dormancy is critical for getting a Christmas cactus to bloom. In order to further force a Christmas cactus to bloom, you’ll need to move the plant where it will receive about 12-14 hours of darkness. Bright, indirect light during the day is fine; however, Christmas cactus requires at least 12 hours of darkness at night in order to encourage bud development. Your Christmas cactus, dark conditions aside, will also need cool temperatures. This should average out to about 50-55 degrees F. (12 C.). Therefore, make sure the location will accommodate both light and temperature requirements.

• Chubby58
    Chubby58

Mine already bloomed in November. I usually put them outside when it gets warm, but not in direct sun, leave them out as long as you can until it starts to get really cold, then when you bring them in they will start getting buds and bloom. Mine only bloom once a year. This time of year I start taking cuttings and root them in water, then put them in a pot. They are my favorite plant.