Deborah Luchak Nester
Deborah Luchak Nester
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Pearland, TX

Chalk Painting Backyard Patio Ceiling/ and Back of the House

$300

Backyard patio ceiling was looking old and faded from the stain and polyurethane job we did 5 years ago. Wanted to do something about the wasps that always wanted to build nests in the lighting and under the eaves. Went with a niagra blue ceiling, icicle gray for the house and ultra white for the window and door facings! Turned out awesome!

If you're in the Houston area, you can Team Up with me to give your patio this popular makeover, too. Just click here to go to my profile page and message me to get started!

Starting point.
Starting point.

Cleaned off the entire patio. Cleaned the entire back area, from ceiling to concrete.

chalk painting backyard patio ceiling and back of the house

After cleaning.

Covered ceiling fans and house
Covered ceiling fans and house

We had already went and picked out the colors of paint and all the supplies, and just needed to get motivated! Taped off the edge of the back wall, and covered the ceiling fans with painters plastic. (Easier than removing all the fans). Depending on what brands and levels of exterior paint you use, denotes on how much you spend in the end.

Trying to look productive!!
Trying to look productive!!

used a paint brush and filled in all the groves and ends of the boards, around the bases of the fans, lights, etc.

Followed the cutting in with the paint roller. Two half days to do all the work. Hubby, me and two sons.

Removed all the tape and plastic, cleaned up all equipment, and ...

AMAZEBALLS!!!!

Placed furniture where we wanted, new area rugs.

Love the look? If you're in the Houston area, you can Team Up with me to get help creating the same look for your patio.  Just click here to go to my profile page and message me to get started!

• Bonnie

Did you use chalk paint or exterior paint? Your title says it was chalk paint but you mention exterior paint in the text. I'm wondering why you would choose chalk paint since it generally doesn't take well to a lot of moisture without sealing it.

• Rebecca Platt

How did you make chalk paint out of exterior paint. I've made a lot of my own chalk paint but wouldn't think this would work. Can you post your formula? Thanks. It looks beautiful!!

• Annie

What is chalk paint? And how do you make it?

• Tammie

Don't have a question as much as want to see pictures of completed project, including furniture and rug placement----need to live vicariously through you avid DIYers! : )

• Deborah Luchak Nester

Still need to finish the window sills.. weather has been too fickle to paint outside. As soon as I finish the sills, I will post the final pics!! Thank you for asking!