How do you remove wall paper?

+5
The wall paper was applied directly to raw sheetrock and doesn't want to come off with a steamer. I'm afraid that scraping and digging will harm the sheetrock.

• Sharon Sharon on Apr 10, 2018
    You'll have to leave it on and paint a primer over it. If the wallpaper seams are showing thru then put a light coating of mud over just the seams sand and reapply another coat of primer. Then paint tile or whatever you want to do.
  • Tina Tina on Apr 10, 2018
    U can use hot water in a spray bottle
  • William William on Apr 10, 2018
    I agree with Sharon. I normally don't advise painting wallpaper, but in your case I say to clean it prime it with Kilz primer then paint.
  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Apr 10, 2018
    Hi Garynsharon,
    It sounds like you need a "tiger" or scoring tool to make lines in the wallpaper so that the steamer can get underneath the paper. Click on the link below to see if these steps help you. Wishing you the best.
  • Chris Gaines Chris Gaines on Apr 10, 2018
    Where you have tried to remove the paper you will need to skim coat with thin plaster ... it is not hard to do and will dry fast ... sand, prime all, including any remaining wallpaper then paint.
  • Liv Liv on Apr 10, 2018
    Use a wallpaper steamer. It is natural (no gross chemicals) and doesn't hurt your walls. The wallpaper will come right off than.
  • Lina Splichal Lina Splichal on Apr 10, 2018
    Scraping will probably mar your sheetrock. If it is that tight you can just lightly sand the edges of the old paper and paint over it, hang new paper, or finish it however you want.