Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Adding Moulding To Closet Doors

$15
1 Day

If you have a home with boring, brown bi-fold doors....I’ve got a way to make them boring no more!
adding moulding to closet doors
I am in the middle of making over my sister’s bedrooms and each of the bedrooms have hollow core bi-fold doors. As you can see, they need a little TLC.
adding moulding to closet doors
I began by removing the doors and plastic knobs that were attached to the middle of the inside door.
I filled the hole with wood fill and sanded it smooth.
adding moulding to closet doors
I primed and painted each door with a flat white paint.
adding moulding to closet doors
Once the doors were dry, it was time to add the moulding.
A-I began by measuring 6” from the top of the door, drawing a line at that measurement. Then I measured 36” from that line and drew another line.
I measured 2” in from each edge and using a speed square I connected all of the lines making a rectangle.
B-From the bottom of the door, I measured up 6” and drew a line, then measured 25” from that line and drew another line. I measured in 2” from each side and using the speed square I connected all of the lines making a rectangle.
I measured and drew the rectangles on each of the doors.
adding moulding to closet doors
Using 1/2 round moulding, I measured and cut each piece at a 45 degree angle using my miter saw.
I glued and nailed each piece in place.
adding moulding to closet doors
Once each door was framed out, I primed the moulding with flat white.
Once that was dry, I painted each door with a semi-gloss white.
adding moulding to closet doors
Once the paint was dry, I rehung the doors.
To add new hardware,
A-I measured down 3” from the bottom of the top rectangle and in 4” from the inside edge of the door.
B-Using my handle as a guide, I placed the first hole of the handle at my mark. I then marked on the door where the second hold of the handle would be placed. I measured this mark to make sure that it was 3” from the bottom of the top rectangle.
adding moulding to closet doors
On this marks, I drilled through the door. Because these are hollow core doors, I made sure my hole went through to the back side of the door.
adding moulding to closet doors
A-I threaded my screw through the backside to the front of the door,
B-placed the handle at the hole and screwed the handle fast to the door.
adding moulding to closet doors
What an inexpensive and quick way to change the look of a room.

• E B

What is the blue paint color in the room? Love it! Also love the doors and want to try! Thank you!

• Heather

How to know if I can replace bedroom closet doors to thus bi fold closet door?

• Karen Hyde

Measure the size of the current doors and the actual size of the space and head to the store, find someone in the door section-someone who looks like they've done a project or two-and tell them what you want to do. It should only depend on whether the size of doors you need are available.

• Shannon D. New

do you have any ideas on something like this for bedroom entry doors that are flat and hollow?