DIY Granite Countertop Makeover

$100

We were looking for a cost-effective way to make our old outdated countertops look new without spending a whole lot of money.

Using the Giani Granite Countertop Kit, we did just that!

countertops before

We used the Giani Granite countertop kit in chocolate brown and followed the steps outlined in the kit:

Clean

Xylene (or lacquer thinner) is recommended for use on Granite to help prep the surface.

Then wipe down with alcohol.

We taped around the sink. We considered taking it out, but it would have been more work than actually necessary and not made a huge impact on the outcome.

The only thing that would concern me is if we were to change out the sink we may need to touch up around that area. It also recommended that you tape around the backsplash, which we did not do because we are replacing that next.

Also, protect your cabinets to avoid paint spills. We did not do that either. We have painted enough times that we felt okay about not covering the cabinets in plastic. If you have not or are worried that you will make a mess COVER THEM!

Step 1 - Prime

Step 2 - Paint

You pour the paint onto paper plates and use the sponge included in the kit to paint your countertops.

Paint is applied in 2-foot sections using all three colors without waiting for each to dry.

To see how the process works you can check out the video below

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

The finished product of the countertops were better than we anticipated.

The full details and how-to are in the article reference below on Kenya Rae - The online homemaker magazine!

How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
TaKenya Hampton

• Diane

Hmmmmm. Wonder if this would work on cement floors?????

• Judith Ritenburgh

There is an epoxy product that you roll on floors. Two step pretty easy! The hardest part is moving the furniture all out at once because it has to be all done at once

• Christina Wileman

Ok Dont want to sound to. Stupid. We live with my husbands father. He built cabinets and took tops from a trailer. I believe they are laminate. Is that what thwy put in trailers back in horse n buggy days? Yeah there that old. I hate every inch of them. I'd receive an award for the ugliest if there was a contest. MY question is...Will the primee n paint hide the deep cuts from the mindless hunters?

• Pam Lee

You could fill the ruts with a paintable calling. Just sand smooth before the paint goes on

• Paulette Stark

Do you put any sealer of epoxy on the counter to protect them from use. Seems to me the paint layer would start of slowly be removed.

• Susan Yasinsky

In 1993 I painted a birdhouse that I built. Creating intricate lacy looking leaves on the piece, I wondered if I should even use it outdoors as was its purpose. I decided to use polycrylic. After 7 coats, 120 grit light sanding in between coats and dried, I put it outside where it has been ever since. Through heat of the summer and extremely cold winters, the birdhouse looks as vibrantly colored as when I first painted it. I’ve done this on countertops using a spray gun. The counters look beautiful. Always use a cutting board as not to scratch them. They are water resistant, but not heat from an oven or stove resistant, so use a potholder. A hot cup of coffee is ok though.

• L Lane' Taliaferro

This looks amazing and I definitely need to update my countertops. Gonna try this. Thanks for the ideas.

• Ramona Webb

I have wanted to do this for a couple years ! You are invited to come help me, If you would like .