TaKenya Hampton
TaKenya Hampton
  • Wake Forest, NC

DIY Granite Countertop Makeover

$100

We were looking for a cost-effective way to make our old outdated countertops look new without spending a whole lot of money.

Using the Giani Granite Countertop Kit, we did just that!
countertops before
countertops before
We used the Giani Granite countertop kit in chocolate brown and followed the steps outlined in the kit:
Clean
diy granite countertop makeover
Xylene (or lacquer thinner) is recommended for use on Granite to help prep the surface.
diy granite countertop makeover
Then wipe down with alcohol.
diy granite countertop makeover
We taped around the sink. We considered taking it out, but it would have been more work than actually necessary and not made a huge impact on the outcome.

The only thing that would concern me is if we were to change out the sink we may need to touch up around that area. It also recommended that you tape around the backsplash, which we did not do because we are replacing that next.

Also, protect your cabinets to avoid paint spills. We did not do that either. We have painted enough times that we felt okay about not covering the cabinets in plastic. If you have not or are worried that you will make a mess COVER THEM!
diy granite countertop makeover
Step 1 - Prime
diy granite countertop makeover
Step 2 - Paint
diy granite countertop makeover
You pour the paint onto paper plates and use the sponge included in the kit to paint your countertops.
diy granite countertop makeover
diy granite countertop makeover
Paint is applied in 2-foot sections using all three colors without waiting for each to dry.
diy granite countertop makeover
To see how the process works you can check out the video below
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
The finished product of the countertops were better than we anticipated.
diy granite countertop makeover
diy granite countertop makeover
The full details and how-to are in the article reference below on Kenya Rae - The online homemaker magazine!

TaKenya Hampton

• Teresa

I did this with Giani about 7 years ago now and it is finally starting to show wear to the top. I love it.

• Joni

For the acrylic i used the semi moist sponges but i took scissors to them to make them more course before dabbing start with the black the darkest Brown latest brown or your colors that you choosethen go back over all of everything you just did with the black again fill it out to your liking.. I use a sponge brush for the polyurethane because I hate to find hairs in my work I love them well worth it cheapest idea I also took a leaf from my dining table put pillar iron table legs underneath of it did it to that table for my microwave coffee maker etc stand. Well used very durable no need to waste your money on those kids when you can have the same thing for under $20 if you have to buy everything you're welcome..